Seized, and now broken steering wheel

Yesterday, I noticed the steering wheel of my hewes 18ft bayfisher had a lot of wobble to it. No difference in the steering, just wobble in the wheel. I attempted to take the wheel off and the nut came off without issue. The wheel itself is seized on the helm. I tried to soak in PB blaster and hit the nut with a hammer trick to no avail. One last try to pull resulted in the wheel breaking completely off but the base still seized on the helm. Ive read about gear pullers, but there isn’t enough room between the base of the wheel and the helm cover to get the arms of most pullers under. I’ve ordered one on Amazon that may work, but we will see. 

Any additional advice on how to get it off?

Also, in the event I just need to cut the helm, should I replace just the helm or the entire helm/cable system? Is the job very difficult?It’s a teleflex no feedback system. 

Thank you for any advice. 

IMG_2839.jpeg

IMG_2840.jpeg

When you were hitting the nut with the hammer did you have pressure applied behind the wheel? I use a flat bar nail puller to apply pressure behind the wheel. If there is enough of the hub to get a flat pull bar under it try that with the hammer striking the nut again. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

When you were hitting the nut with the hammer did you have pressure applied behind the wheel? I use a flat bar nail puller to apply pressure behind the wheel. If there is enough of the hub to get a flat pull bar under it try that with the hammer striking the nut again. 

Yes, I was using my thigh of one leg and my other hand to apply pressure to the back of the wheel when hitting. Thank you, I’ll try that

As with most stuck nuts the answer is to apply heat. 

Obviously you can't use a standard torch but a small pin  point butane torch should heat the remaining portion easily. 

Something like this should work.

Cover everything with old rags and towels keeping them  wet. 

The flame is really pin point and controllable. Screenshot_20240103_120224_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a00d76bc01eeaa224db5152d0fef3424.jpgin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Whiskeytrain said:

Also, in the event I just need to cut the helm, should I replace just the helm or the entire helm/cable system?

If you are going to change it out....consider to go with a hydraulic system....it's not difficult, just a lot of cursing pulling the lines...if you want to stay with cable, I'd replace the entire system....it will just be plug and play...what size engine?

What year is the skiff?  Aren't boat fun ???

dc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

If you are going to change it out....consider to go with a hydraulic system....it's not difficult, just a lot of cursing pulling the lines...if you want to stay with cable, I'd replace the entire system....it will just be plug and play...what size engine?

What year is the skiff?  Aren't boat fun ???

dc

It’s a 2000. Repowered with a Suzuki 4 stroke 115hp in 2016. 

11 hours ago, Whiskeytrain said:

Victory. Picked up a bearing separator/puller and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the tips. Still will be looking into the hydraulic in the future.

IMG_2851.jpeg

Wow....congrats...lots of good learnings here on this forum....we ALL (or at least most) have "been there, done that" and have the broken knuckles and scars and T shirt to show it...

Be sure to use a good bit of lubricant on the bolt....also, I don't know if you lubricate the steering lines (I would google it or maybe someone here know), but, when I took my telefax off my MA17, it was due to rust....mine was a 1995...so, just a bit older...it was binding and really rusted when I pulled it.

Just as a point of reference, if you are considering Hydraulic, I found the U-Flex system seemed to work well in smaller splash wells....I think the OUTLAW on the forum installed it on his RF 16.  Also, if you go Flex, I would install the larger hydraulic lines...the ones that come with the Flex system are thin....the lines can be purchased separately and are a bit $$$ but easier to pull and I think safer...but, that's just me....they obviously work.....check out U-Flex

Well done and thanks for sharing the results....

DC

• Thanks 1