Leaking Livewell Plumbing 97 BF 16

croakersmoker

I have a 1997 Bayfisher 16'. My livewell drain doesn't have a seacock, and the hose has a crack that is letting water into the hull. Does anyone know the dia of the drain thru-hull? I'm going to mount a seacock on it and close it off. I don't use the livewell, but it would be nice to have it in working order. I can't see how to get to the bottom of the livewell to replace the hose between it and the thru hull. I'd appreciate any suggestions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Croak,  I'm not sure if your 97 Bf has the same setup as my 2001 Rf but I had the same issue.  On the Rf - the livewell drain is a 1 1/8" I.D. plastic tube that extends from the livewell 'liner' out to the outer edge of the transom. It appears that the 'seal' at both ends of this tube is a bead of 3m 4200.  I could never get these tube joints sealed properly and additionally could not find a plug that would seal the livewell drain from seawater entering the box ( I alternate using the livewell as a fish box with ice or as dry storage )

My solution was to install a white plastic garboard drain in a disc of white starboard material that is fastened to the transom and sealed with 4200.  Kind of clunky looking but I became really annoyed with the leaky drain and fooling with failed attempts to get plugs to seal.   With this approach, my only real 'modification' to the hull is (3) # 6 screws, into the transom, attaching the starboard disc. 

jb

20240122_101728.jpg