Who has a Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke running with a fuel flow sensor?

searing

I'm considering adding a fuel flow sensor compatible with my Lowrance to see fuel consumption. (2000 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke.) I'm wondering if it works well and with no performance issues? The 90hp 2 stroke only has a single diaphragm fuel pump so I'm wondering if it handles the additional resistance of a fuel flow sensor in the line without issue. Hoping there are a few of you who have done this already.

Thank you

I just installed a lowrance fuel flow sensor today, on my new HDS .

Having the tech come and calibrate it , in the AM .

I also just removed my Garmin GFS10 fuel flow sensor today , and have been running that for the last 15 years ,with no issues.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

IMG_1679.jpeg

9 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

I just installed a lowrance fuel flow sensor today, on my new HDS .

Having the tech come and calibrate it , in the AM .

I also just removed my Garmin GFS10 fuel flow sensor today , and have been running that for the last 15 years ,with no issues.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

IMG_1679.jpeg

Good to know, and thank you! If I may ask, where did you mount your sensor? It appears the sensor comes with a 10’ long cable. Did you find it was long enough to reach your NMEA 2000 backbone assuming you have it in your console? 
I don’t have a network yet so I’ll need to get the NMEA starter kit too. 
Thanks again
I’m not set up yet so I’ll need to get the NMEA 2000 starter kit as well. 

On 1/11/2024 at 1:33 PM, searing said:

I'm considering adding a fuel flow sensor compatible with my Lowrance to see fuel consumption. (2000 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke.)

Just curious....why do you need it with the smaller skiffs....

I found with my 115 2 stroke...I knew that I would run about 60-70 miles and fill it with about 20 gallons after each trip....

I have a full blown fuel management system on the BEAST - 250 SHO...but, I normally fill up on every trip to keep it full...no matter what...part of the routine..

If you are a big camper and go out for several days, I guess it's a good to have...but, for the average day-tripper....I don't think it's necessary?

So the smaller the skiff , the more important it is to know how much dinosaur 🦕 juice you have .

*** , if I had 60 gal , I would not worry either .

I be sippin fuel and whiskey 🥃 in Gods country.

Livin life , in da swamp , off da grid nowhere near EFC .

I need to know exactly how much fuel and whiskey 🥃 there is .

See ya in da Harney . 😉

If you do not know how much you burned, how do you know how much to put in ????????

Just wait for it to overflow , at the station ??????

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Two trollin motors aint necessary,   either , but to each his own !

16 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Just curious....why do you need it with the smaller skiffs....

I found with my 115 2 stroke...I knew that I would run about 60-70 miles and fill it with about 20 gallons after each trip....

I have a full blown fuel management system on the BEAST - 250 SHO...but, I normally fill up on every trip to keep it full...no matter what...part of the routine..

If you are a big camper and go out for several days, I guess it's a good to have...but, for the average day-tripper....I don't think it's necessary?

I have a 30gal poly tank in mine which now might be 27gal due to sagging. I do a lot of trips where I may only burn 5-8 gallons and the non-ethanol stations aren’t on the way for me. I want to know how much fuel I have, and save time in the morning when I can. I also fish the inlet during certain times of the year and not having fuel on the boat I don’t need keeps me high and dry. Knowing the sweet spot for fuel economy wouldn’t hurt either for the longer run days.:)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It has to be calibrated.

You will have to run about 30 gal of gas and add fuel several times to get the sensor calibrated, for your actual usage .

As you see , in this picture , I have burned almost 2,500 gal , on this trip .

Kinda a PITA but it’s what has to be done .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

IMG_1816.thumb.jpeg.305f08bc0bb881f19d12227fe53f9677.jpeg

31 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

It has to be calibrated.

You will have to run about 30 gal of gas and add fuel several times to get the sensor calibrated, for your actual usage .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Thank you,

Definitely knew I'll have to go through that.:(  I plan to fill the tank  before the first trip and record at 27gal instead of 30gal since I have a slightly sagged poly tank which has me uncertain about it's true capacity. Then when I'm under 10 gallons I'm going to drain it completely, then squeeze all I can get in it and enter that amount as my full capacity. 

PS; Love the casting platform!

Dennis

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:26 AM, THE OUTLAW said:

It has to be calibrated.

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

I got totally different numbers for the day. It represents only one trip and I didn’t do a lot of running. Not sure it’s accurate but I think it’s close to what I expected to be used. I won’t fill up and enter until I burn more than 15 gallons.

IMG_5570.jpeg