South Florida Peacock Bass

Fsu11

Throwing this out in here so it gets some views as the fishing threads arent as active, but I live up in Jacksonville and will be going down to West Palm in a month for work. I have fished for peacock bass off a random canal I found on google earth in Boynton Beach once before and caught a few but was hoping someone could maybe share some general areas or canals I could try down that way. Wont have a ton of time but would like to get out there an afternoon or two and do it again. Will trade for fishing spots or help in Jacksonville. Feel free to PM if dont want to share with the world.

• Like 1

We understand what you are trying to do, and it is fun! But you fail to mention live bait or artificial? Find your spots on Google but your chances of catching will double with live bait (Shiners). The bigger the better, every cast a catch or un-intended release. Nose hook'em and free line, but if the canal is deep then try a few tail hooked baits.

Post some pics.

By the way, most mom & pop bait stores may have shiners.

13 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

We understand what you are trying to do, and it is fun! But you fail to mention live bait or artificial? Find your spots on Google but your chances of catching will double with live bait (Shiners). The bigger the better, every cast a catch or un-intended release. Nose hook'em and free line, but if the canal is deep then try a few tail hooked baits.

Post some pics.

By the way, most mom & pop bait stores may have shiners.

I typically only use artificials, and the last time i went i had success but wasnt sure if they were as far north as west palm or if i need to drive further south some more. I ended up catching 4-5 peacocks and one big clownknife fish which was an awesome experience. The How-To isn't as important to me as general locations, will any canal down that way typically hold them?

Yes any canal will have them.

Using artificials make sure they are colorful with reds and oranges and fish them erratically, lots of stop and go and they will hit on the go. Retrieve down the shoreline for best results

Best thing about peacocks is you do not need to get up early, they are tropical fish so the hotter the water and temperature the better. If you are wearing a jacket, chances of you catching will go down because if you are cold, they probably are too. 

• Like 1