New Boat Quality Issues

I took delivery of a new 2023 2200 TRS last January. The boat is well designed and well thought-out.  However, it has a number of quality issues including a hatch that is so misaligned that it will not latch shut.  There are other misaligned hatches that squeak when stepped on. This is very frustrating for an "Angler Driven" boat. The dealer does not appear to or care about addressing these issues. For example, the leaning post under seat storage compartment fills with water when it rains and when washing the boat. The dealer does not know if a seal is missing under the seat and/or if a drain hole needs to be drilled in the bottom of the storage compartment (If you have the answer to this, please let me know as I am sure I can handle this issue).  Have others been experiencing similar issues with quality and not getting them resolved?  I have already decided to live with cosmetic issues rather than living through the hassle. 

Ean, 

Your dealer needs to correct those issues. I will forward your comments to a Rep at the factory.  They need to know that the dealer is not performing their responsibilities.  They also need to know that nobody looked your boat over before it left the factory.. 

Could you please PM me your dealer info, and the last 5 of your hull number ?

Mod Marc

Ean01, sorry to hear about the quality issues. I can't help much with the compartment lids, but the leaning post storage area should have drain holes. I have a custom made leaning post with storage area and it came with drain holes. It's crazy to think water wouldn't find it way under the seat and into the storage area. 

Remove all items from the storage area, add some water from the garden hose to determine the lowest areas, then drill some 1/4" holes for drainage. 

NC Tribute, can you give us more information of how to chamfer the edges of the lids. I have one that is starting to make a little noise. But, that's not bad for a 2013 boat. 

• Like 1

I'm still dealing with my nightmare. See "Center Console Shaking" from last year on my 2300 HPS. Dealer dropped the ball and factory won't return calls anymore. Still have cosmetic issues, damaged windshield and bent trim tabs. All I can say is choose your dealer carefully because once it leaves the factory it has to go thru the dealer. My boat is a great boat but it is not NEW. Had to fix a lot of issues myself and looks as if I'm going to have to  finish it. This nightmare still keeps me up at night. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 1:59 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Ean01, sorry to hear about the quality issues. I can't help much with the compartment lids, but the leaning post storage area should have drain holes. I have a custom made leaning post with storage area and it came with drain holes. It's crazy to think water wouldn't find it way under the seat and into the storage area. 

Remove all items from the storage area, add some water from the garden hose to determine the lowest areas, then drill some 1/4" holes for drainage. 

NC Tribute, can you give us more information of how to chamfer the edges of the lids. I have one that is starting to make a little noise. But, that's not bad for a 2013 boat. 

I used a fine hand file, just to break the edge a bit (wear a mask). Was afraid to use a power tool. A couple also benefited from adjusting the fit. If your boat is older and did not squeak before, might try replacing the seal material first and see if that height difference alone helps.

18 hours ago, NCTribute said:

I used a fine hand file, just to break the edge a bit (wear a mask). Was afraid to use a power tool. A couple also benefited from adjusting the fit. If your boat is older and did not squeak before, might try replacing the seal material first and see if that height difference alone helps.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

It’s really sad that what was once the leading anglers choice boat ….has slipped into these poor quality entry level type production problems. Pathfinder was always about Quality first just about 10 years ago or so and prior. I’ve had 3 Pathfinders, 2 Mavericks and 1 Redfisher …all of which were fantastic fishing platforms and could take a beating on oceanside running too. 

I was looking at a friend’s recently purchased Young 24 last week down in Crystal River and it’s a well made boat and certainly shows  that the boat group has taken extra steps to add quality into their gel coat, hardware and design. 
On the flip side….another local guide just purchased a Hell’s Bay flats skiff and it also has attention to details with quality.

ill stick to my old Pathfinder and just keep fishing….shes a 2008 22 XL and is a great boat complete with some battle scars.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 4:57 PM, Ean01 said:

The dealer does not appear to or care about addressing these issues.

Where are you located?  I would assume if "your" dealer won't address it, you can take it to another dealer?  MOD...is this true?  If I were to buy a new MBG Pathfinder in say Pensacola and then I move to the Keys, I don't need to take back to Pensacola for service?

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 8:23 AM, Waterman18 said:

My 2021 22Trs has an uneven center hatch lid. My dealer got it replaced twice but the problem is in the mold and the factory basically said "oh well"! And this was before the sale to Malibu !

76EF3B2E-9A60-4F7A-A84C-524F5C615808.jpeg

That seems to be a safety hazard. Hate to trip and end up wet…

On 1/20/2024 at 6:02 PM, 02 Tex Pathy said:

That seems to be a safety hazard. Hate to trip and end up wet…

Unfortunately they didn't feel that way!

I've had 5 or 6 boats over the years by MBG and I probably would not buy another new one today.  

QC has diminished, factory support is apparently hit or miss and pricing has gone through the roof. 

There are so many other manufacturers available that seem to be better in those areas. 

• Like 1

When I decided to replace my old 2004 Pathfinder 22TE, I had two objectives, a boat with a new modern updated design and a dealer to do all the maintenance work. I keep my boat in a marina with covered storage and was tired of always doing all the upkeep and maintenance there.  As there was a Pathfinder dealer already in the same marina, it made sense to get a new Pathfinder as the 2004 was an awesome boat.

So, the new 2023 22TRS is an impressive boat. The layout is very efficient and comfortable, and the design makes it quite easy to work on. However, there are a few quality issues that should have been fixed long ago. And I am having nightmare issues with the dealer.  As my boat storage and dealer are in the same marina, I did not see the need to get a trailer, so I am water-locked with the boat.  This dealer has a Pathfinder monopoly in SW FL, so unfortunately it is not feasible to take the boat to another dealer.

So, I have a beautiful boat with a few manufacturing quality issues and a dealer who will not take care of their customers. Guess I am back in the maintenance and service business.

• Sad 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:28 AM, Waterman18 said:

Unfortunately they didn't feel that way!

I've had 5 or 6 boats over the years by MBG and I probably would not buy another new one today.  

QC has diminished, factory support is apparently hit or miss and pricing has gone through the roof. 

There are so many other manufacturers available that seem to be better in those areas. 

You would think with the premium prices they charge, their boats would be thoroughly inspected for quality assurance prior to leaving the factory and the dealer would do the same.  I do not mind paying premium prices for a premium product. I can even understand that some issues may slip by undetected, but with any premium product, the dealer and the manufacturer should feel embarrassed with these issues and the issues taken care of ASAP.

I like the design of the 22TRS, but the quality is off, and the dealer is a nightmare. For a premium product, I expect more. I have to agree with @Waterman18, I would not buy another new one today.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 3:17 PM, fishmanjj said:

It’s really sad that what was once the leading anglers choice boat ….has slipped into these poor quality entry level type production problems. Pathfinder was always about Quality first just about 10 years ago or so and prior. I’ve had 3 Pathfinders, 2 Mavericks and 1 Redfisher …all of which were fantastic fishing platforms and could take a beating on oceanside running too. 

I was looking at a friend’s recently purchased Young 24 last week down in Crystal River and it’s a well made boat and certainly shows  that the boat group has taken extra steps to add quality into their gel coat, hardware and design. 
On the flip side….another local guide just purchased a Hell’s Bay flats skiff and it also has attention to details with quality.

ill stick to my old Pathfinder and just keep fishing….shes a 2008 22 XL and is a great boat complete with some battle scars.

Yes, keep that boat! The biggest regret I have was selling my old 2004 22 TE. It was a great boat. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 9:23 AM, Waterman18 said:

My 2021 22Trs has an uneven center hatch lid. My dealer got it replaced twice but the problem is in the mold and the factory basically said "oh well"! And this was before the sale to Malibu !

I had a similar issue on my 2021 2200trs. It was the latch contacting the gutter when closed, left the hatch feeling uneven. My dealer trimmed the gasket and gutter a tad and it fits great now. May be something to check although the hatch does look uneven in your picture. 

I still have a few small issues I too have just chosen to live with vs the hassle of dealing with my dealer. 

I hear the same issues being echoed by Freeman owners. Company seems to have gotten to big for its britches and now the manufacturing and dealer prep quality control is lagging, and customer service even worse.. When a company can not keep up with demand, they start cutting corners it seems.. I am sorry to hear this. I have been really happy with my 04 22TE and have been thinking about searching for the right 23hps but may need to look elsewhere.

I agree that there should NOT be anything wrong with a new boat. It should be checked out before it leaves the factory. With the rising costs to build them, and the shocking increase in the msrps the last 4 years.. the boats should be delivered as perfect.

Things do show up after they leave the barn and should be addressed without question. 
They build a lot of boats and only the problems get posted on the media. 
I have spoken to the boss(es) about this.  They are all-in on quality and go nuts when something pops up that was missed at the door. One high-up director was fired over the QC fails. 

I asked if I could bring a bunch of owners up for a special tour of the production facility.. My contact agreed.. I would like to set up a Thursday in mid March to go up. If you are interested and can drive to Ft Pierce for a few hours on a Thursday let me know.  It will be a learning experience..

Marc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2024 at 9:23 AM, Waterman18 said:

That is terrible. How would that not get noticed when it left the factory?