Looking at upgrading - need recommendations please

HenrysCreek

Follow MBG folks, I'm in the process of consolidating boats from 2 to 1.
Current boats:
~ 1999 18.5 Maverick
~ 2009 Judge 36'

These are both great boats, but I can't have both at my current dock and I don't want to use a marina for the big one because I like to have them on lifts.

Entertaining buying a larger Pathfinder (Young and Yellowfin 24's are also on the list), but not sure about which Pathfinder.
Currently looking at a 2400TRS and 2500 Hybrid.  In all cases, I want/need a tower for sight fishing Cobia and Reds up in the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding creeks.
This will mainly be a summer boat, although I'll probably bring it down to the Keys/SW Florida late winter.  Draft isn't a big deal up here, but definitely is when fishing the Everglades backcountry.  

If anyone has first hand experience with either of these (or other MBG's) with towers, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the boats and recommended power set-ups.

Thanks.

I was in a similar situation and bought a 2500.  Very happy with my choice.  The 2500 will float in almost the same water as my 2200.  I run my 2500 up to 50 miles offshore.  Ideally, you want seas 3’ or less and I prefer to minimize head seas because the boat is not a deep vee or has a sharp entry.  But it runs great in a big following sea or beam sea and is steady drifting.

• Like 1

I would be hard pressed to buy a larger pathfinder these days. Any manufacture can have build issues but it does not seem there is much aftercare for some very expensive boats. It would seem they would have one guy to follow up with dealers taking care of issues but that does not seem to be the case. I am only basing my opinion on the stories told on this and other forums on the net.  

• Like 2

Having just gone through this drill twice with positive results I have to add my two cents. In my cases the dealer was the key to getting stuff done. Boaters Exchange did an excellent job at getting approvals for repairs and actually doing the work in one case. Yes, the owners had to get involved in the process as well but the joint effort got the job done. Yes, it was not as easy as picking up the phone and calling Ray at the plant but everyone was happy at the end. Most of the dealers I have met over the last 15 years have been excellent but choose carefully. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 4:18 PM, HenrysCreek said:

Follow MBG folks, I'm in the process of consolidating boats from 2 to 1.
Current boats:
~ 1999 18.5 Maverick
~ 2009 Judge 36'

These are both great boats, but I can't have both at my current dock and I don't want to use a marina for the big one because I like to have them on lifts.

Entertaining buying a larger Pathfinder (Young and Yellowfin 24's are also on the list), but not sure about which Pathfinder.
Currently looking at a 2400TRS and 2500 Hybrid.  In all cases, I want/need a tower for sight fishing Cobia and Reds up in the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding creeks.
This will mainly be a summer boat, although I'll probably bring it down to the Keys/SW Florida late winter.  Draft isn't a big deal up here, but definitely is when fishing the Everglades backcountry.  

If anyone has first hand experience with either of these (or other MBG's) with towers, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the boats and recommended power set-ups.

Thanks.

I own an older PF 2200XL and it’s built like a tank. I’ve also in years past owned Maverick and Redfish boats. That was when the MBG actually listened to anglers and built Quality in their boats with pride.  Unfortunately….from what I’m hearing around the docks, especially from guides who use their boats daily…the Pathfinder quality is at an all time low. Hatches mis-aligned , electrical issues because of cheaper grade wiring and connections, it all points to the mighty dollar. I can’t speak about dealer problems because my boat is 14 years old…but I would trust the folks on this forum when they comment about their dealers in their hometowns. With bay boats being over $100 K now, I would certainly look at all options… Yellowfin, Young, Sterling,  Skeeter, Avenger, etc, etc

good luck with your new purchase…. JJ

• Like 1

Tough choices! 36 Judge is a nice boat that will take rough water and get you out of the weather,  Maverick will get skinny! Most of the hybrid boats will pull 11 to 16” draft, 2500 and 2600 are nice boats but expensive. All depends on how you fish, my rule of thumb has been fish over 30/40 miles out you need twins full dressed electronics. If you choose PF or Cobia get recommendations on dealers who follow thru on warranty issues and if the boat isn’t perfect fit and finish, I’d walk away.

JMO

hope it helps

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 6:55 PM, George Seither said:

Tough choices! 36 Judge is a nice boat that will take rough water and get you out of the weather,  Maverick will get skinny! Most of the hybrid boats will pull 11 to 16” draft, 2500 and 2600 are nice boats but expensive. All depends on how you fish, my rule of thumb has been fish over 30/40 miles out you need twins full dressed electronics. If you choose PF or Cobia get recommendations on dealers who follow thru on warranty issues and if the boat isn’t perfect fit and finish, I’d walk away.

JMO

hope it helps

I totally agree. Inspect your new sled front to back, in and out. If not perfect walk away quickly. 100k + is too much for shoddy workmanship and parts that to not fit correctly. 

• Like 1

Ive had 3 24 yellowfins, and run the 23, 25, and 26 HPS/hybrid. The yellowfin has the best front deck storage by far, and handling is just unbelievably good. Ride quality in bigger seas leaves some to be desired. Running the beach to lunch I was getting beat up and my buddy in 23hps cruised right by me. 

25 and 26 pathfinder will outride it, but they are bigger boats anyways. 24 YF is amazing in certain chop, but in other types of chop you wonder if its the same boat. Really weird, something I still cant make sense of. Looks go to the YF.

16 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Thanks!  I need to do a sea trial on a 24YF.  Won’t be taking it out in crappy conditions, been there done that, but I’m sure I’ll get caught in late summer storms further away from home than anticipated. 

I think you would just need to ride it in certain conditions. For moderate chop and below the yellowfin is just such a pleasure to drive. Certain chop conditions it can slam pretty good, I cant figure out if I love them or hate them

• Like 1

I had a Fountain 38 for 3 months. Did some test runs and loved it. When it came time to run it home from Wilmington to the Chesapeake, I hated it. Big chop in the Pamilco and Currituck sounds were very wet. Dealer told me up front, “it’s like driving a Porsche (it’s a drivers boat”. Never acquired a taste for it and quickly sold it

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2024 at 10:12 AM, linesider 159 said:

I have heard the contender 25 rides phenomenal

a couple of my buddies have 25 Contender bays. They ride amazing. It will for sure be my next purchase, they draft 12" too. Something other Bay boats in its class cant say..

Couple of updates:

- Big boat should go under contract tonight, so the shopping begins full force!  Still very undecided  Young 24, Yellowfin 24, late 2010’s Pathy 24/25, Andros 26….

- We signed a contract for a new place in SWFL, so I plan to spend 4-5 months a year doing some back country and inshore fishing. 😎 Virginia will still be home, but most of my fishing will be in Florida. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the contract….. you have some very nice boats picked to choose from. I own a 22 PF , my buddy has the 24 Young, it’s a fine ride but much deeper , and will draft more water than the PF or Yellowfin….i’m sure once you do the homework , you’ll pick the one best for your area of fishing. JJ

14 hours ago, HenrysCreek said:

Couple of updates:

- Big boat should go under contract tonight, so the shopping begins full force!  Still very undecided  Young 24, Yellowfin 24, late 2010’s Pathy 24/25, Andros 26….

- We signed a contract for a new place in SWFL, so I plan to spend 4-5 months a year doing some back country and inshore fishing. 😎 Virginia will still be home, but most of my fishing will be in Florida. 

congrats...let me know if you'd like to do a few guide trips in the park.....I'm fully licensed to operate in the park and insured....happy to give you the friends and FORUM special rate :)

DC

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

congrats...let me know if you'd like to do a few guide trips in the park.....I'm fully licensed to operate in the park and insured....happy to give you the friends and FORUM special rate :)

DC

Thanks!  I’ll definitely take you up on that!  Jeff

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

On 1/30/2024 at 5:53 PM, HenrysCreek said:

Thanks!  I need to do a sea trial on a 24YF.  Won’t be taking it out in crappy conditions, been there done that, but I’m sure I’ll get caught in late summer storms further away from home than anticipated. 

You wont be disappointed. I have a 21 YF Bay and its awesome in the Pamlico. Fished a tourney 2 weeks ago and ran 30 miles up the Pamlico in near small craft conditions. Aggravating but the boat handled it like a champ. Good friend of mine has the 24 and its amazing. I may sell mine and upgrade to the 24. He has a Merc 350 with some tuning and has seen 77 MPH. 

• Like 2