Pompano Flies

Donh

Here is a tutorial I did for the pompano rocket a few years ago.

On a #2 saltwater hook tie dumbell eyes on the top of the hook shank

IMGP0937.jpg

Tie in a clump of yellow or orange bucktail and a little crystal flash behind the eyes

IMGP0940.jpg

Push the eye of the hook into and out the other side of a piece of gold mylar tubing.(i only had silver here)

IMGP0941.jpg

Pull the the top half of the tubing over the eyes and bind down, pull the bottom of the mylar tubing under the eyes and bind down, build head in front of the eyes. Fray the ends of the tubing.

IMGP0943.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot guys. This will sure get me started. I keep buying supplies I'll have to move my wife's car out of the garage. Just started tying.

I was thinking if I could spin enough natural colored deer hair on a #2 to trim in the shape of a sand flea. Somehow use some lead thread for weight tp get the fly down....Really enjoying experimenting. Is the mylar tubing a regular fly tying supply, or?

Looking at your suggestions they do look like the jigs that are good for pompano.

Don.

"Is the mylar tubing a regular fly tying supply, or?"

Check your local craft stores. They sell a lot of what you find at the fly supply shop. I found 10 yard packages of mylar tubing for about the same price as what some fly suppliers charge for 1 yard. Oh and yes it's the same material and every color you can think of.

Tight Lines

Archived