What size jig heads and hook?

What are the best jig head/Hook sizes to use in the Glades with 3' Gulp Shrimp?  Going to get an assortment of weights but is there a go-to hook size?  Also, what is the best jig to hold the gulp in place without using glue?  The Berkley Fusion19s look to be a great option.   

Varies by water depth and bait size.  For the 3" GULP shrimp, something like Ralph suggested.  Captain Bob LeMay makes some real nice jigs--get the ones with the "keeper" on them (helps secure the jig in the bait).  I think they are $1.25 each, which is a great price.  He uses the best hooks.  Here's a tip:  order them by size in specific colors:  chartreuse for 1/8 oz, red for 1/4 oz, pink for 1/2 oz, etc.  Helps to quickly choose the right jig out of your tackle box for the right situation.  

• Like 1

Learn to use bucktail jigs or leadheads with plastic tails.... and you can catch fish (nearly every specie...) world wide...  Here's how I set up my anglers in the backcountry each day -  in four feet or less water a 1/8oz bucktail or leadhead, in four to eight feet of water - a 1/4oz, in deeper waters (or when you're using plug casting gear.. ) 3/8 or 1/2oz lures... 

I make to custom order bucktail jigs and leadheads from 1/16oz up to 1/2oz mostly.. Here's a pic or two... 

PHMyo6A.jpg

These are 1/4oz backcountry bucktails - and I do them in nearly every color, whatever my customers want.  The heads are powder coated and baked - the hooks - very sharp, strong black nickel finish - and always sized right (hook size goes up as the heads go up in size...)

JlylKUu.jpg

These are my leadheads  - every one with a keeper barb to hold a plastic or Gulp tail - use the size head needed for the depth you're fishing... I make these by the hundreds for folks who know what they want... 

nkgO45L.jpg

From 1/2oz all the way down to 1/16oz.  These are the heads that will be used to make up my bucktail jigs - some folks use them with just the bare head and add live bait - then fish them very slowly along the bottom.  A shrimp, pilchard, crab or small finger mullet on one of these is just deadly - particularly when the waters are colder.. 

I've only showed a few samples here - I also make skimmer jigs for bonefish and other species in very shallow waters as well as a 1 oz "pilchard jig" for offshore anglers.  Anyone wanting a price list with more photos - an email request to lemaymiami@aol.com will get you one by return mail...

As far as that original question about the 3" Gulp shrimp - most days we use the New Penny color and have them on a 1/8 or 1/4oz head - usually in fl. pink.... and catch a ton of trout, reds, snook, tripletail, tarpon and other species on them out of Flamingo, Chokoloskee, or Goodland... Book a trip with me and I'll teach you how we use them...

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

• Like 2