In search of my 1st boat.....

Sugashane

Greetings all,

I'm on the hunt for my first boat and am leaning on the MBG community to help supply some sound advice.  My family of four lives just outside of Atlanta, GA.  I grew up on the Georgia coast and would be trailering the vessel a few times a year to South Carolina, Georgia and Florida saltwater fishing destinations.  Additionally, my 13 year old son will be fishing a handful of freshwater bass tournaments in/around Georgia and South Carolina this year.  Essentially need a two person fishing machine with the ability to do an occasional 4 person joyride when on one of our local lakes with the entire family.........I need one vessel to try to accomplish it all and I need to keep the tab under $20K.  I'm fairly sold on the idea that I could accomplish my goal(s) with an older Redfisher 18 (lappy) or vintage Master Angler 18.  These two boats and their pedigree really appeal to me.  Ideally I would like to find one of these older boats that has been well taken care of and/or refurbished.   From my limited research it seems that items like updates to the fuel tank and power would obviously be desirable.  Am I barking up the right tree?  Am I chasing an albino unicorn?  Any tips or recommendations for such a search would be useful and any thoughts on the matter or any leads that you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance..  

One of my boats is a 2001 16 redrisher. I think you are spot on in looking for a 18 redfisher. Now the 20 grand might be right on the edge to find a nice one but it is possible. I live down in Savannah and I always tell guys my redfisher is the best bass boat one could ever want. We fish salt water creeks and Clark’s Hill lake with it. There is plenty of room for three of us when running around to sand bars and such. If you get a chance to ride a redfisher you will be sold. My test run was on a bit of a small chop the kind that just slaps the hull.  I fully expected to feel it through the hull much like a bass boat. I didn’t feel it at all. This little 16 is built like a tank! I think the smooth sided redfisher’s may have a little more storage starting with a dedicated anchor storage up front. Not sure if you can tell but I do love my little 16 footer. 

• Like 1

I started my MBG trek with a 2003 RF 18....5 boats later I have a 23 HPS

Key things to consider...

You mention trips - trailer is most important - if you are thinking about trailering more than 30 min each way make sure you trailer is new or has NO RUST

RF/MA or other...all will suite your needs....think about a smaller Pathfinder - the 1806 or 1900 with a 115 or 150 hp

the $20 is doable as mentioned above....but, you will get what you pay for in this market....meaning, you might find a $20K vessel and still need to put in another $3-5 in upgrades....

Enjoy the journey....

dc

• Like 2

“Enjoy the Journey.”  

This is so true for you. Have your son involved in the search process. Any first boat, however humble, will be special to him. Have him learn everything and let him practice driving and docking. Let him back the boat off the trailer and load it at the ramp. This will pay handsome rewards as he hits the critical teen years. 

To your question, Yes. The 16 Redfishers are plentiful in the range you seek. They are stable & solid and easy boats in every sense. A good trailer is essential. Luckily most of the parts can be replaced. No Rusty frames tho ! Put in some miles looking at boats and know you may kiss some toads before you find your boat. 

Plenty of knowledge here, so you can get answers to any questions. You may even get a member to help you check out a boat you see.. Those are real popular in the coastal GA area.. 

Good luck !!

MM

• Like 1

Agree with all of the above.   Flats boats make great bass machines, even if they don't sparkle like Rangers.   Bought my first Master Angler when I lived in the Virginia Mountains, and I got a lot of funny looks, but caught a lot of fish too.

As for your choices, you probably need to stay in the 18' and up range.   To Wannaflatsfish's point, there are some 18/19' Pathfinders out there within your price range - the problem there is that you lose the "fish on top" feel of a bass or flats boat.    

I've been on both Master Anglers and Redfishers - they are both great boats.  The Master Angler has much more beam, the redfisher is faster.   The Master Angler is famous for its ability to handle chop, but the redfish is no slouch in that department either.   The MA is a lot harder to come by than a Redfisher, so you'll probably pay more for the same year boat in an MA.   The REALLY old MAs- 1990 and earlier have their fuel tanks in the bow, making replacement MUCH cheaper and easier - no major glasswork.   After 1990 something you are looking at the risk of replacing a gas tank under the cockpit, and a few folks on here can give you an idea of the cost.   It's signficant.

There are plenty of brands outside of the MBG family - but do your research - every major boat builder had good years and bad years, good models and bad.  The value of the MBG brand is that, for older models, there are older owners on this forum who can help you navigate the issues you need to watch out for.   

I hope you and your son find something, I'm more than happy to help in anyway I can and I'm sure every other member on here would as well.   Mod Marc was spot on - your son is going to make this journey much more than just buying a boat - including him in this journey will make priceless memories.