2200 TRS Leaking Rear Jump Seats

blueyonder

Has anyone found a way to seal up the area under the rear jump seats on the TRS boats? I’ve tried putting a gasket material around the lip but it doesn’t help much. I really only get water in there when washing the boat but it leaks down into the bilge and keeps everything wet. Driving me crazy. 

Don’t judge my dirty boat and bilge, spring detail is right around the corner. 

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4482.jpeg

Those hatches are not designed for dry storage.  And a little water in your bilge is common and expected.  I normally throw the remainder of my soapy water along with a little bleach in the bilge to keep it clean.  Dollar General sells a spray bottle of mildew cleaner, it’s cheap and works great to use under those seats.

I actually do the reverse of trying to see Al it up. I leave at least one of the jump seats up to allow air flow after washing. If you are unable to leave one of the seats completely open try propping it open just a few inches to let the air move and see if you find it helps dry things out. 

Designed or not Im one who was annoyed with how much water gets in that area on my 25, I mean we shouldnt be putting water in there on purpose.  I went on a mission to get mine as dry as possible.  What I found is alot of it was getting there from the gunnel mount rod holders drain directly into that area,  Theyve got drain nipples to attach hoses, so I got some and attached them and routed the end of the hoses to the true bilge area.  While that cut down a bunch of water it was still getting in there... come to find out the bases of the rod holders (plastic base that is at the bottom of the holder) is not sealed to the metal tube so pulled them out and sealed with silicone... now its mostly dry.

If youre getting water in there during the wash maybe your a bit aggressive with the water around that area?

To clarify, water getting under those seats is really only an issue when I am washing the boat. Soapy water pools up at the base of the seat, I spray it out, and the leftover water eventually makes its way down. It doesn't leak a great volume of water, but enough to keep things wet. Our other hatches are dry, why can't these be as well? 

I do all the steps of leaving hatches/seats open and making sure water can drain out, when possible. My point was more to prevent it from happening in the first place. I get that water in a bilge is "normal" but I think we would all agree the less amount of water in a bilge.. the better. 

Hopefully someone has found a solution. 

1 hour ago, blueyonder said:

To clarify, water getting under those seats is really only an issue when I am washing the boat. Soapy water pools up at the base of the seat, I spray it out, and the leftover water eventually makes its way down. It doesn't leak a great volume of water, but enough to keep things wet. Our other hatches are dry, why can't these be as well? 

I do all the steps of leaving hatches/seats open and making sure water can drain out, when possible. My point was more to prevent it from happening in the first place. I get that water in a bilge is "normal" but I think we would all agree the less amount of water in a bilge.. the better. 

Hopefully someone has found a solution. 

You would have to put a hatch cover there.  The reason I bought the TRS rather than the Tournament (that area is enclosed in the Tournament Edition) was the access to the bilge the seats give. I remove everything from my boat and store it in a shed so that area getting wet is no issue for me.  The way it holds water in the pocket behind each seat is a slight pain. After washing I put a wick (long strip of cloth from an old t shirt) from the pocket down into the next ledge in the bilge. I do the same thing in the drain plug. That wicks all the water out and allows the area to remain dry until the next trip.