2200 TRS Second Battery

blueyonder

I run a 2011 2200TRS. My main cranking battery is on the starboard side on the boat and this is the port side view under the rear jump seat. I have not been able to trace and see what this battery is connected to and what position it is on the switch, I just turn it to “both” and roll. I’d like to know how these came wired from the factory if anyone knows.

Ideally would use this battery when at the sandbar for my radio and not worry about running down my main battery. Thanks  

IMG_4482.jpeg

I think you could use a simple volt meter. Put the battery selector on #1, connect the volt-meter to one of the batteries, have someone start the motor and you watch the volt meter as the motor is starting. You should see a fluctuation in the voltage if this is the starting battery. If there is no fluctuation in the voltage, leave the battery selector on #1 try the other battery. All you are looking for is to see which battery is #1. 

Then switch the battery selector to #2 and repeat the same process to determine which battery is connected to #2 in the battery selector. Once you determine which battery is #1 and #2, you can switch the battery selector to #2 at the sandbar and save #1 for starting the outboard. But, you'll have to switch the battery selector to "both" to enable the engine to charge #2. If you don't have an onboard battery charger, I'd suggest you install one. Your batteries will last much longer with a permanently connected battery charger. 

Thanks for the reply. Using a volt-meter when starting the boat is a good idea, I'll try that this weekend. Are you confident that with the switch on "both" that will enable engine charging on batteries 1 and 2? I have an on board charger for my trolling motor batteries but these 2 batteries are not hooked up to a charger. I have always assumed that the engine would provide enough charging when running, maybe that is not the case. 

26 minutes ago, blueyonder said:

I have always assumed that the engine would provide enough charging when running, maybe that is not the case. 

I would not rely on this longer term....an onboard charger that has charge on the run or a 3 bank is the way to go or even a small hand held trickle charger can be left on for a few days....

dc

On 2/7/2024 at 12:51 PM, blueyonder said:

Thanks for the reply. Using a volt-meter when starting the boat is a good idea, I'll try that this weekend. Are you confident that with the switch on "both" that will enable engine charging on batteries 1 and 2? I have an on board charger for my trolling motor batteries but these 2 batteries are not hooked up to a charger. I have always assumed that the engine would provide enough charging when running, maybe that is not the case. 

To know for sure that the engine is charging both batteries when the battery switch is on "both", just use the volt meter again. Test the voltage on both batteries without the motor running, then test again with the motor running. That will determine if the engine is charging one or both batteries when the selector is set to "both".