Repower and then moving to GA - help me plan this

ohg123

Hey gang, looking to buy an older PF very soon and will maybe need a repower within a year or two. I  have a few questions:

1 - boat is a 2000v so I want to max it out and do a 150hp

2 - im in S Florida now so I have access to just about any brand installer nearby - my friends say suzuki or yamaha. what about tohatsu? honda? no good?

3 - ill be moving to coastal GA in a year, St Simons island. So I will likely have access to Jacksonville's services but Brunswick also has some techs for certain brands.

If it can wait do I do a boat show special repower? how does that work? 

Basically I am willing to pay to have it done, but need advice on the best way to approach it IF the old motor can serve for a little while OR if the old motor needs to be replaced ASAP- how would you all approach this?

Thanks!

Hickory Bluff Marine is on site at Morning Star Marina on St Simons and is dealer and authorized service tech for almost all of the brands.  Definitely for Suzuki, Yamaha, and Mercury.  not sure about Tohatsu or Honda.  A 140 Suzuki will be the most cost effective option for a repower.

If price isn’t an issue, I’d look hard at a Yamaha vmax sho.  Great little motor and only about 10-15 lbs heavier than a 150ox66 or HPDI.  

the 2000V doesn’t like a lot of stern weight.  They tend to propose with too much setback and weight.  The 140 zuke is a great motor as well but the Yamaha has significantly more umph. 

There was a 115 zuke on microskiff recently, but way below the HP you are looking for.   

Buddy has a 140 zuke (4 stroke) on his Maverick MA.  I have a 150 OX66.   His boat is significantly lighter than mine (1986), but man, there is no comparison between the two.   It's more than 10 HP difference in performance.  He's propped right, but he's seeing 45, I'm getting 54.   With the difference in weight between the two hulls, I would have expected the 140 to keep up, but it's not close.   I know, apples to oranges, but my engine is 23 years old, his only has 100 hrs on it.   

Visit any dry stack:  Zukes are commone and gaining popularity, Yamahas are always king, I have to guess the other brands aren't common for a reason, but don't know much about why.   

^^^^ That is because a 140 Zuke is a beefed up 115. Go look at the torque specks on the 115 and the 140. The 140 zuke also has a small foot so even if you could spin a larger prop “u can’t. I had a friend put a brand new 140 zuke on a kew west 1760. He replaced a 90 zuke. You would not believe how slow and sluggish the boat is. 
 All that is to say, if you are going to bot a zuke on a 18 to 20 footer buy the 150! 

• Like 2

The dealer is the key here and the brand second in my mind. I had a Honda put on one of my Mavericks and loved it. It was quiet, very fuel efficient, bullet proof, light weight and  had a great no bs warranty for 5 years. I never heard of another Honda on a maverick.  The installer made the difference and it looked like it was installed at the factory.  Down side was that there are not a lot of Honda dealers out there to do the service and when I needed a part while I was in the keys I had to go to homestead for it..

I am not promoting Honda here just my thoughts

• Like 1

I have heard good things about Honda & Tohatsu. Have you seen this latest bad boy from Honda! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvYoKNpk3uQ

With regards to Zuke's. When Johnson dipped their toes into the 4-stroke market they were just rebranded Suzuki's. Nonetheless my brother-in-law had to service them being a factory rep for them. He said that the engines were good but had a shorter lifespan than most due to inferior materials that were used. He also mentioned that the costs of replacement parts were astronomical and overall ownership was more expensive. My .02 cents.

Just want to throw out that OLDER Zukes have corrosion issues just like yamahas but the newer Zukes they have solved a lot of the corrosion issues, no more "Gold Plug" for zukes that were a big issue in earlier years. Ive got a new 115 zuke on my RF18 and it works great, i wish i had the 150 but thats just because i have the need for speed haha.

I wanted to post a disclaimer but Fsu11 already touched on it ........................

9 hours ago, Fsu11 said:

that OLDER Zukes have corrosion issues

What was my family's experience was with the 2002 -2006'ish years. I would like to think that a manufacturer would make changes and acknowledge past issues and get them corrected.