There has to be a better alternative

whichwaysup

Okay, next time, I will get vortex hubs.  In the meantime, I am stuck with the el cheapos that came preassembled with berings, races, etc.  

I am about sick of these stupid rubber grommets blowing out, splattering grease everywhere.  Arent there any alternative dust caps with screw in covers?   These rubber grommets last about 6 months then harden and die

i just replaced the hubs and bearings, so just looking for relatively simple alternatives  

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Trailer-Bearing-Rubber-Replacement/dp/B099XCDFX6/ref=asc_df_B099XCDFX6&mcid=85fdd5e465233f97863e31259987be50?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264468429353&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863995036083&psc=1

• Like 1

When I changed both axles on my Ameritrail Pathfinder trailer, I did go back with Vortex hubs and it is amazing how well they seal. I take the caps off periodically to check the grease and bearings and I have never had any water inside, and no grease outside all over the wheels. 

• Like 1

My spindles have zirc fittings. My Hubs are Kodiak stainless. I use bearing buddies and tie wrapped bra's.

When its time to service I simply remove the snap ring, pull the inner cup out and use the spindle zirc to flush the old grease with new. 

The bearing buddy keeps things sealed and clean.

One thing I have learned is not to over pack with grease. When the grease warms up, mostly because of the brakes, it expands and pushes the cap off. 

If Vortex made a Stainless Hud I would be using them.

20240221_183714.jpg

• Like 2

I have Vortex hubs on my 2021 Ameratrail trailer and both my fishing buddy’s have them.  We have all had some water intrusion, with one trailer having a on the road bearing failure.

They are not any better than the Super Lube hubs with the exception of the threaded cap which can be equaled with a Bearing Bra mounted over the rubber plug dust cover.

I suggest strongly to give you Vortex hubs a couple of shots of grease every couple months to insure that there is no water intrusion. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, George Seither said:

If you have a digital caliber check to see if vendor sent ya the right size BB, I bought some el cheapos from Harbor Freight for a 20' car hauler I have and had to knock them in! 

I will double check.  Of course, my digital calipers are from harbor freight so there’s that little variable! ;)

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 5:17 PM, whichwaysup said:

Man, I have those but for the life of me I couldnt get them into the hub.  I assume these el cheapo hubs are a little out of spec, but if anyone has a trick, I will try it.  

should mention my spindles have zirc fittings so the BBs will keep me from using them.  

Take a flat piece of wood and put it over the end and hammer it in. We keep a massive socket at the shop that slides over the end. You have to pound evenly

• Like 1

So I have Vortex and someone further made mention of water intrusion.  He is correct, I fought this for 2 trips because I didn't get it corrected the first time.  The benefit to the vortex and my axel combo is the zirc fitting up front that feeds the back bearing.  WWU, I would take a piece of Emory cloth and give it a couple turns and just brush some of that finish off.  It will still be tight enough to hold and then put on your bras...  Hope you get that corrected.....

• Like 1