2023 18 Maverick hole shot issues

Ler

Hello Maverick boat group. 

I posted about this topic recently in the general channel, a few days ago here 

I got the trolling motor mounted on the bow. 1 starting battery in the bow hatch, 2 lithium batteries (30 pounds each) in the center console. 

I took it for a test run today with just myself and half a tank of gas (29 gallon tank in the bow) and learned the issue is rooted from getting on plane. I've noticed it does seem to struggle to get on plane. Probably a solid 6-8 seconds from pushing the throttle wide open, to that initial speed boost of getting on plane (I have a video of this whole process attached). These symptoms are also experienced with 3 people total and full tank of gas with gear, etc., it will porpoise immediately after getting on plane even trimmed all the way down .

I can not plane off without trim tabs, even if I jump up to just 3000 rpms, keeping the trim all the way down, I will porpoise, however, I learned I can get on plane at full throttle and use the trim tabs to get it back to 'even' once the skiff stops porposing, i can bring the tabs all the way back up and be decently fine. I evened it out at full throttle and trimmed out to about 5800-6000 rpms and hit 52 mph (more than happy with that speed) and the skiff stayed decently manageable at WOT with trim tabs all the way up. 

I'm thinking I'll need a stern lifting prop to combat this? Appreciate all feedback, Thanks!

• Like 1

just curious what did you do to go from 4600 rpm and 34 knots to 6000 rpm and 52mph?  yes you do need a better prop designed to lift your hull out of the water. I would really lean on the dealer on a 2023 model boat before you go down the rabbit hole of what prop to buy.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HoneyB said:

just curious what did you do to go from 4600 rpm and 34 knots to 6000 rpm and 52mph?  yes you do need a better prop designed to lift your hull out of the water. I would really lean on the dealer on a 2023 model boat before you go down the rabbit hole of what prop to buy.  

I held on for dear life and trimmed it up when going full speed lol. Before I was too scared to trim up since it was porposing like crazy right off the bat. 

as I kept playing around with it I learned once I used the tabs to control the porposing I was able to bring them back and I didn’t start porposing again, she stayed rather steady. That’s when I trimmed it up and saw both the speed and rpms shoot up and was still able to keep decent control of it. 

I think once I’m able to plane off without porposing right off the bat I should be good to go.