Mono v Flouro v Braid

RacerxV6

So it is Saturday morning and I am getting over Covid for the 3rd time in 3 years, for some reason I Have Smooth Criminal floating around in my head and thought to myself I don't believe I ever came across a thread where us fisher people have a reason why we use what we use on our reels for line.  Back in the 80's I always tied on Andes, to me it was the best or maybe the cheapest, but mono was the no.1 line probably because that's all there was really for a viable reason,  Then I jumped to Trilene XL, a modified versions of mono,  gave me the strength  but had flexibility, and XT for toughness.  Then this thing called braid hit the scene and like many of you I am guessing I changed every reel over to braid in the event I could go with stronger line and smaller diameter.  But wait, now there's flouro, in conjunction with braid and the fish can't see it.  Well, here I am 40 years later and every one of my reels are back to Trilene Big game green.  What was your journey in the revolution of fishing line and why.......?  Sorry for the long entry. 

3 hours ago, George Seither said:

nothing wrong with mono line and some oy older rods still have it. All depends on what ya like and works for you.

I keep Mono on my offshore rods for dolphin and trolling with the Penn Squal's and big Penns for schoolies.

I learned from a guide a long time ago that, especially when Phin fishing or even yellow tailing, you can get your finger wrapped,  braid will cut you off right at the nuckle if it gets wrapped.....and you have a 30 lb dolphin coming on to the boat....

For inshore on my personal rods (St. Croix Avid's and Penn 2500's) and my guide rods for clients (Penn 4000's with St. Croix Triumph's) I keep 20 lb braid for the back country.....and my chunking rods......

Just my preference.....

DC

• Like 1

I trout and redfish fish using Falcon Low Rider rods, Shimano 2500 Nasci spinning reels with Fin 12 lb braid and 10 lb fluorocarbon leader about 18” long. I only fish artificial either DOA or ZMan plastics and occasional Zara Spook or Mirrorlures. My only deviation is Tripletail season when I step the tackle up to 40 lb braid and 30 lb. leader because of the structure we fish around for TTT.

IMG_3596.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

IMG_3587.jpeg

• Like 3

I saw a test once about visibility under water, performed by Chuck Pippin a bass professional.  Mono was the most invisible out of the three, but then I am reminded by what the G-Man Swindle said once.  "If he didn't see the first 100 ft of line don't worry bout the tag and leaving it a little long"....that kinda really put it in perspective for me.  I was never fully committed to braid, I just like the feel and castability  of mono....

really appreciate ya'll commenting, keep'm coming...

• Like 1

I dont fish anything with mono.... fresh, inshore, offshore is all braid.  Converted a few people who've been out with me that subscribe to the old lore or are afraid to switch... they see my gear outfishing theirs and getting fish to the boat quickly (avoiding sharks).  I will run a short top shot for a few specific applications.

Floro is overated.... tho is higher abrasion resistance outfishes mono leader when fishing real abrasive bottom.  I recently read some testing that exposed a weakness in floro.... it showed that if the floro is stretched under a load toward the upper end of its strength rating (dont rememeber the %) it becomes significantly weaker.... thats good to know 

• Like 1

inshore loaded with braid (4lb, 10lb, 20lb on the spinners)... generally 18" - 30" of 20lb flouro leader, but use mono too.  Around structure for Sheepies and Snook I push up the leader to 30 or 40lb, mono.  Offshore the spinners have braid with mono leaders (generally 40lb),  trolling rods still use mono with braid backing, bottom rods braid with 40-80lb mono leader.    For what is worth, I switched to braid on my surf rods - not being a great long distance caster every bit helps!

• Like 2

It’s funny, I’ve been reading all the comments.  While I use braid on almost everything, I don’t usually use any leader.  I tie braid directly to the jig head or Mirro Lure.  I’ve tried it both ways and I don’t see a difference.  

I fish the Apalachicola Bay, and often we have some color in the water, maybe that’s the difference.

• Like 1