HPX-S Advice

chrsRedfish

I am going to go look at a 2015 hpx-s in a couple days and want to hear from everyone what to keep an eye out for in the hull? I know boats fairly well but curious to know if there's anything specific to these hulls. I have read about bow steer and when I asked the owner about it he said he has zero bow steer. I plan to checkout if the boat has had the wedges added, in the event it does not have the wedges, what is the process like to have these added? Is it something Maverick is still doing? Is there a cost associated with this?

Thanks.

I had a 2015 that MBG added the wedges too at no charge. Made a big difference particularly if you had an angler sitting forward and weight forward like a tm, casting platform and tm battery. You would have to reach out to the factory if they still do it. I think a couple of dealers have done it as well. Good luck with it. It’s a great little boat. 

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

while hull related...these skiffs are very sensitive to weight changes...so, be aware of that....I've heard the stories of two anglers shifting weight and one is ejected over the side.....

DC

You must be talking about two anglers that also appear in the show my 600LB life. Because I have never had any experience like that on over 2,000 hours of running time on my 17HPX-S. 

• Thanks 3

I have a 18 HPXV and also had a 2018 17 HPXS for a period of time. The HPXS is a surprisingly dry boat but in my opinion does have some bow steer issues and a few other odd running characteristics. But then again any 17-18' boat that weighs ~500#'s will most likely encounter some bow steer issues in the right sea state. Based off of my experience it was a stable platform and I can't imagine anyone being ejected. It ran skinny, floated skinny and if you kept the speed down you it will definitely cross bigger water.

Overall I don't recall seeing or hearing any issues with the hull themselves, structural integrity, cracking ect. A lot of guides running around with 1000's of hours can't be too wrong. I don't intend on taking my 18 in to get the 'fix' but it will be interesting to see what comes of it. Ended up selling the 17HPXS and keeping the 18 definitely times I really miss the HPXS and I'm currently on the hunt for a HB Pro.