Recall On Maverick HPS 17 and HPX 18 Models

Posted 8 hours ago · IP 

I did inquire about this yesterday !

It seems there are a couple of Agencies that oversee the safety of boats. Regarding floatation, the Coast Guard has a formula for the amount of floatation required for the length and weight of a hull. The MBG models all meet this standard, to this day. The other Agency, ABYC I think.. had standards that these boats complied with. Recently they changed the standard to include a tank test where the models must be sunk with gear and max power. 
The factory has complied with this testing and found that the Maverick models did not meet the standard. 

The factory reported the issues and this Agency required that all models must be recalled and upgraded to meet the float testing.  There is a public list published and most boat brands found models that did not comply with the tank test, but still comply with the Coast Guard floatation formula. 
For owners of ALL 17 and 18 foot Mavericks manufactured after 2010 I believe, the hulls have to have floatation added. The factory developed a procedure for each model to add some blocks under the deck and foam beneath the deck through some Lockers:  drill holes and add foam, then plug the holes.

The factory will send out letters to the original owners and persons who re-registered the hull warranty as second owner. If you purchased a used Maverick 17 or 18 foot model, you should contact your dealer to arrange for this upgrade. The dealers are being trained at the factory to perform the ‘fix’. 
The crew is still figuring all this out. They are working on a waiver for the owners who do not want holes punched in their boats, if you have an ultra-light 17 with a 70 on it, for example. 

To be understood.. this was not from a harmful sinking incident: It came from a change in one Agency’s policy.. 

This is what I gleaned from a phone conversation.. Your dealer can give you the skinny on your hull.. I didn’t get any literature to pass along. 
Best I can do remotely guys.. 

Marc 

LittleChief

Posted 8 hours ago · IP 

I imagine this puts current owners in a tough spot. Either take care of the recall and have foam and holes drilled in after the fact or don’t take care of the recall and harm resale or worse risk insurance not covering if it does happen to sink.

I would give owners the option to have the recall done under careful supervision right at the factory where it was built. Quality control with each dealer performing the work could be an issue. I imagine some will do better work than others…

Posted 7 hours ago · IP 

There’s a lot of things to fret about.  There are implications, but safety isn’t a place to mess around.  The holes are drilled in lockers out of sight.  No holes in the deck or ugly stuff. 
Speak to your dealer and find out exactly what is going to take place. 
If you are near the factory, you could offer to use your boat to train the reps on. 

MM

No.. all years of HPX 17s and 18s. If you bought one of these Mavericks out of warranty, and have not received notification, contact the nearest Maverick Boats dealer to schedule the installation. The dealers have the instructions from the factory. 

I am trying to confirm the changes made to the floatation test.  I’m not believing what I am reading about how the tests are supposed to be conducted. 

MM