Favorite Tarpon Gear

rubble

If you were putting together a budget minded rod/reel combo to fish for tarpon in the channels around the middle Keys flats, what would you be looking for?  Not fishing at bridge pilings or in heavy cover.  Just ditches along the flats.  Would be using shrimp, mullet, etc.  

Based on a little research, 8’, M-H Fast Action rod would be sufficient.  Reel choices are a little different.  Some suggest 5500 (guessing in the BG line) while others suggest an 8000 (more in the Shimano lineup). 

Becoming a fan of Star Rods and their Stellar Lite series looks to have some decent offerings in that category.  SG1220FT802 is a MH Fast Taper rod.  12-20lb line while the SG1525FT802 is a Heavy Fast Taper with 15-25lb line rating.  Are these rods on point or are there better options?

I’ve got both Daiwa and Shimano Reels.  Have a few of the BGs but also have Nasci and Stradic.  I’ve learned that it is an easier pill to swallow when you have a $100 rod and $100 reel make it’s way out of the boat.  May not fish as smooth and effortless as the high dollar combos but easier on the blood pressure.  

Thoughts from the crew?

37 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

The 12-20 star will not be enough, the other is likely a good fit

teramar XH 8’ is a long time staple as well

Have read a lot of recommendations for the Teramar.  Which series or model is the go to?  Have read the Inshore West Coast Spinning for this application but looks like the only option is the foam handle for these.  

I use the Star rods and 6500 Penns.. 20lb mono.. Stellar light 15-40 spin/trollers.. Longer butt than Terramar.  Stays in the rod holder when hooking fish ! Has the backbone to turn big fish away from pilings. Braid is too dangerous with big green fish jumping near the boat IMO. Big circle hooks reliably grab the upper lip for safer releases.. 

MM

11 hours ago, Moderator said:

I use the Star rods and 6500 Penns.. 20lb mono.. Stellar light 15-40 spin/trollers.. Longer butt than Terramar.  Stays in the rod holder when hooking fish ! Has the backbone to turn big fish away from pilings. Braid is too dangerous with big green fish jumping near the boat IMO. Big circle hooks reliably grab the upper lip for safer releases.. 

MM

Used those beefy stellar lites last season and they were just too heavy for any real artificial use. Good option for large live bait though.