2006 Redfisher

GeorgeS

Just picked this guy up, looking it over, I’m a bit worried of the work needed as far the hull goes. Patching transom holes, fixing keel chips, tiny dings here and there. I’m also not sure of the transom, feels solid but some lower holes where a transducer was mounted seems like the screw goes in too easy. I could be overlooking this completely and the work, let me know.  I comfortable with rigging but not so much body work. Wondering if anyone can give me any advice as far as all the work needed to be done and the overall condition of the boat. How much would something like this cost to get the hull prepped and perfect so all I’d have to do is rig? I feel as if I took too big of a project on.

any help , any comments would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_7899.jpeg

IMG_7898.jpeg

IMG_7903.jpeg

IMG_7902.jpeg

IMG_7901.jpeg

IMG_7906.jpeg

IMG_7905.jpeg

IMG_7904.jpeg

IMG_7897.jpeg

IMG_7896.jpeg

There’s a lot to unpack there: It looks like the topsides were worked on.. Was the fuel tank replaced ? The splatter paint is a clue.  Is it a stolen/stripped recovery or did you take it all down before the photos ?

The gouge and crack in the bow aren’t a good sign.. I would have a competent glass guy dig into that repair.. If the boat history is known, then you can do the cosmetics and get down to the rewire, accessories and power. 
If it is a hurricane damaged hull, you may need to get a probe camera and check out under the deck.. get a plastic hammer and tap all over the transom. Get under the boat and check the whole hull for more cracks and damage.. 

What do you guys think ?? 
MM

I took it to a few fiberglass guys, they al pretty much had the same opinion… The keel cracks are nothing to worry about. Those are easily patched and signs of just wear. 

The transom from the looks of it is composite, im not sure of that boat year having foam composite transoms maybe someone could chime in?

my main concern is the transom , I wouldn’t want to work on something with a transom issue, big deal breaker there.

So that’s a pretty nice looking hull. Looking at the picture of the stern it looks like there is an ID tag on the upper right hand corner of the transom. That tag will tell you the year of the hull. What are the last two digets on that tag? 
 It appears to be a 18 Hewes that some how has a new Hewes blank console in there. I think you are ahead of the game as project hulls go!  I would love to see her up close 

Yea so I mean pretty sure it’s a 2006, not home rn so I can’t send the plate but will send. I have some closeups of the holes I need to plug on the transom, was just gonna drill the holes a little bigger, bevel them, fill them with west system 610 epoxy, sand after it cures and gelcoat over the epoxy. Was gonna do the same for the top holes for the polling platform and old trolling motor along with all the small miscellaneous holes.

IMG_7872.jpeg

IMG_7873.jpeg

IMG_7875.jpeg

IMG_7881.jpeg

IMG_7874.jpeg

George,

It's a little bit of work, but I'll bet you can handle the glass repairs.  I've fixed similar gouges, scrapes etc on our Whaler and a some smaller ones on our  Hewes.  Where the glass fibers are exposed, grind out the loose stuff with a dremel - clean well with acetone - patch back with either strips of glass cloth soaked in catalyzed resin or make a 'mash' of chopped glass cloth and resin that is packed into the hole/gouge.  If you get the patches proud of the hull on either side, you can just profile back down with the dremel to alllow for gelcoat overlay.  Spectrum has color matched gelcoat  - in my case (01) it was a perfect match.

jb