Trouble running new steering hose

sscoville

I’m running new hydraulic steering hoses on a 2011 2000v and struggling. There was a panel in the floor of the console that I removed which helped on that end, but the hose is getting stuck towards the stern. I’m pulling with the pre run string provided. 

Am I correct that everything runs straight back along the starboard side of the fuel tank out the starboard side of the live well with no turns? Is there a pvc chaise or anything?

Yes it likely goes straight back after the 90 under the console. The string that was left could be wrapped around all the other stuff in there. I would first try to maybe tie a larger diameter cord onto the string and see if you can work it back and forth. If that doesn’t work get you something a bit more rigid to try to get through the tunnel. I have a pair of old shift cables that I have used often. Think about one of the fiberglass rods electricians use to run wires in the wall. You may be better trying to run it from the stern forward. 
 On third thought. Did you already pull whatever steering was in the tube? That would be the best thing to tie onto as you pull it out. 

I have never understood why MBG never installs a larger chase...but, whatever....

I have pulled a lot of lines....it's not fun.

Step one....smash fingers...draw blood....curse a few times...this helps...then go to step 1

1.) as mentioned above...get a large sturdy snake

2.) run the snake and be sure you are pulling it freely

3.) Have some one help and shake the wires in the chase over and over

4.) once you get the snake to the end, figure out how to attach it with minimal amount of large lumps using gorilla tape 

5.) Pull them one at a time

6.) try pulling from either direction....and once you get a "smooth" feel with the snake....you should be then able to pull the larger hoses...

I've spent over an hour many times until it pushes through...

dc

• Like 1

I'm always amazed at how much a lot of liquid dish detergent on the end of the tube, wire, etc helps get it through the area.  There are usually stray wires or lines that catch along the way, and the dish soap helps it slide by.   I also use a lot of tape to create a pointed end on whatever I'm pulling through, especially if it's bulky like a hose, and make sure that the pull string is coming from the point itself.  Between that and the soap- and the occiasional "back and forth" technique, I always manage to get it through.

• Like 2