Evening all! I am thinking about relocating my trolling motor batteries to my front center bow locker. This would create more room under my console add a good 100+ pounds up front (porpoise killer). Only question I have is would I need to create some type of venting for the batteries? I have a NOCO Gen4 onboard charger and keep the boat plugged in 24/7 when not in use. I've read that even the sealed AGM batteries will vent volatile gasses while charging and need ventilation. If this is the case, I'm thinking about adding 1-2 2" SS vents in the front wall of that locker. Anyone done this or have any insight into this? 

There is a vent on the Optima batteries. I asked this question and was told to charge them in a vented area . They say on there site that if you mount an optima battery inside the compartment of a car that you should run a vent . I ran optima batteries both in the center console and in the front compartment of my 18 HPX for years without an additional vent . I wouldn’t think the compartments are sealed .The front hatch has rod PVC rod tubes that are open on both ends and the console wasn’t 100% water tide so I would think it wasn’t sealed air tight .  I did always open the compartments when I charged the batteries in the garage . Hope this is helpful. If you had any additional questions you may want to try e mailing the manufacturer of the battery direct like I did . I e mailed optima because everything I read on the internet was different one said the only batteries that need to be vented a wet flooded old school batteries others said to vent . I figured that you e mail the manufacturer direct and get a written answer from the manufacturer that should be the most accurate answer because they don’t want to post anything that was not safe . Under normal circumstances the AGM batteries won’t vent but during charging or overcharging the battery could become heated and may build up excess gases which would be vented to the atmosphere.  Hope this helps Joe R 

image.jpeg

( This is a e mail that Optima Batteries was kind enough to send me . )This is directly from the people that made the AGM battery . I would think that they know more about there batteries than anyone else would .Joe R 

Thank you for contacting Optima Customer Service.Below is a link to custom fitment considerations.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/custom-fitment

If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle.
Optima Blue Top group 27 and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.

It is important that ANY lead acid battery has proper ventilation.  ALL lead acid batteries can vent gas. Traditional wet batteries do this immediately when recharged since they are not sealed.  

Sealed lead acid batteries like Optima and all other “Dry Cell” batteries have safety release valves that will only vent if they are seriously overcharged.  Under normal operating conditions an Optima will not vent gas.  

Since alternators or chargers can fail, the safest and correct mounting method for trunks and passenger compartments is to make sure that any possible gas venting will escape to the outside of the vehicle.  All vehicles with original equipment battery locations in trunks or passenger compartments will have a vent provision that should be used.  If you are custom mounting a battery in the trunk or passenger compartment we recommend venting the battery to the outside of the vehicle also.  

Safety Information:

• Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.
  • Always use a voltage-regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.
  • Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.
  • These guidelines are intended for typical consumer applications. For military, commercial applications or new equipment design, please contact OPTIMA for additional technical information and assistance

Thank you,
Mary Jo
Optima Customer Service

• Like 1