Battery selection... Expensive vs reasonable priced?

FINCHASER

Think its time to replace my hose / crank battery.  The battery in question is Sams club Duracell grp 31 agm and its going on 4 yrs old.... not to bad but I did notice it getting weak last year running the house loads with motor off while out fishing voltage would get down to 12.1 - 12.2 pretty quick.  So looking at some higher end stuff like Odyssey I can see spec wise an increase of 3ah and alot more cranking amps but nothing really jumping out at me to justify the extra expense?  

My main concern here is the house power.... If im on the boat the livewell is most certainly running and Id guess its the biggest drain Ive got.  So would like to hear what others are running and feedback.  Im also considering re arranging the batteries all together to be able to run a dedicated house battery but thats gonna require going lithium for the TM batt.

Fin,

I went with this battery for my 250 Yam SHO house battery....it has sufficient MCA to crank it  (845) and 210 RC ( which was the main reason for the decision) with 98 AH.   

the other option is to install a on the run charger...

What TM voltage are you using....a Lithium is $$$.

I have a 1/2/all switch on the console which pull from my DEKA/Duracell AGM's 31 TM batteries.

ScreenShot2024-03-21at2_45_28PM.thumb.png.a1f07b8d4c74b202337bb72275b9119c.png

Yes no doubt the lithium wont be cheap, im Running a 36v.  IMO charge on the run is a bit of a myth unless you are running alot during the fishing day which I am not.   Thought the ALL switch combined batts for starting.... trying to run thru in my brain if that indeed works for the acc side of things...?  IF so That may be a possibility but I use the TM alot as well so that may compromise power for that.

This is probably kinda non related , but the Lithium’s have come down quite a bit in price and as long as your charger , will support them , it might be what I will do for my troller , next time .

Been using the Odyssey 1200’s for 20 years and they’re a great battery.

36 lbs a piece and $550 a pair .

One 24 volt Lithium is 20 lbs and only $600.

Dunno .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

I do not think Lithium’s the way to go , for starting battery 

• Like 1

The Sam’s Club 31 dual purpose AGM is hard to beat for value.  It’s a Deka AGM with a Duracell label for $212.  I think it has an 18 month warranty.  My Interstate 31 AGM cranking/house battery has been great.  It is on year 4 and starting to do the same thing as yours.  When the time comes I’m getting Sam’s Duracell AGM.  As for my trolling motor, I’m using a single 36v Impulse Lithium with charge on the run charger……..simply unreal and with run and gun charger is basically infinity juice for my ipilot.

• Like 1

Outlaw:  Yea I think the same for lithium for starting.  Ive got 4 batteries now 3 for TM and 1 hose / start..... My plan would be to keep an AGM for starting, run a Lion 36v 100ah for the TM and a 12v Lion for the house but that setup would require 2 chargers

• Like 1

I dont think that math adds up.... at the recommended discharge max of 50% for lead acid that gives you 50Ah to use.... assuming you run the lithium to 0% youll get 50ah but Im sure they dont rec going that low ( i think most usually rec 90%) so youll end up with less ah to use.  And I believe the principle of depth of discharge and cycle life applies to Lithium as well so going past the rec DOD will shorten battery life

• Like 1

There is no drop off in voltage as the battery gets depleted with lithium.  When burn your lead acid battery down to 50% you have to run on 10 to get same speed as you did on 5 when your battery was fully charged.   With lithium there is no drop off in performance from 1% state of charge to 100%.  I’ve been using a single Impulse Lithium 36 for nearly 2 years on my 24 TRS.   My tides in coastal Georgia are extreme…. Basically over 1’ per hour with 7’ tide swings.   I use my ipilot for spotlock nearly 100% of the time.  My lithium is Bluetooth so I can monitor my state of charge on my phone.  The lowest I’ve ever run it down is about 50%.   I have yet to run back to the boat ramp to put it on the trailer and my lithium not be back to 100% with the run and gun charger.   Lithium is not damaged or its life span shortened whatsoever by running them down low……but with a run and gun charger that has never been the case for me.  There is a reason nearly all guides and serious anglers are using single 36v lithium trolling motor batteries.  I don’t think there is a single Bassmaster Elite or Open pro not using Lithium batteries.

A lot has been said about a single  36 volt  lithium battery vs 3 x12volt. 

My fishing  buddy put in a single 36v lithium . The local dealer put it in.

He needed to move it to do something but at 90 lbs it was impossible for him. One of the reasons I will go with 3 x12volt lithium for tm.

Recently placed a dual purpose  lithium from epoch for house and backup starting but too early to give a review. 

Im well aware of the voltage constant of L ion.... and they do rec not going to 100% DOD "to maintain battery life"

In any event theres no point in not going 100ah the only con is price.  Im not your avg rec guy I put in hours on the water more like a guide... probably more so as its common for me to put in some marathon trips up to 16 or so hours.

Is it better to fully discharge a LiFePO4 battery?

LiFePO4 batteries can be continually discharged to 100% DOD and there is no long-term effect. However, we recommend you only discharge down to 80% to maintain battery life.

Looked up my buddy's battery for myself.  It weighs 53 lbs not 90

Thought he would  know what  his  own battery weighs ,but he still struggles to  handle it.

A 100 amp 36 volt is around 75lbs

A 12 volt 100amp weighs 33lbs

Either way a big difference in lead acid