MK 80lb thrust Ipilot circuit breaker

I am still chasing down my issue with my battery system for my TM.  New batteries, but still only lasting half a trip.  Starting to suspect an amperage issue caused bybold wiring or old circuit breaker.  I discovered that my breaker is only a 30 amp, and the MI site recommends a 60 amp.  Anyone know EXACTLY which 60 amp to gonwith?  Would like to stick with blue seas so the holes line up, but having trouble matching voltage to the recommended on the MK site. 

Old wires and wires below the rated gauge size for the load is not good. A corroded strand of wire is no longer a conductor. That’s why high quality marine wire is made up with a higher quantity of finer strands of tin coated copper. The benefit of more finer strands is it increases the total surface area within a given gauge wire for current to travel lowering its resistance. As corrosion takes place it’s lowering the number of strands capable of carrying current increasing resistance and increasing amperage draw. When the surface area of copper wire capable of carrying current becomes lower than what’s needed for the current load it will start heating up and that heat will speed up corrosion, it’s been the cause of many boat fires. This is why it’s always best to go for the highest grade/brand wire and at least one size over the calculated gage size base on wire length and amperage draw, and to make sure fuses are never more than 20% over the devices max amperage rating. If I have a doubt of a wires integrity I replace it. I know this is wiring 101 for most but figured I would put this out there for those who may not know this. Many boats like mine have the fuel tank under the cockpit floor and console which is also near every wire fed into the console for switching or power. 
Dennis

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 7:35 AM, whichwaysup said:

I am still chasing down my issue with my battery system for my TM.  New batteries, but still only lasting half a trip.  Starting to suspect an amperage issue caused bybold wiring or old circuit breaker.  I discovered that my breaker is only a 30 amp, and the MI site recommends a 60 amp.  Anyone know EXACTLY which 60 amp to gonwith?  Would like to stick with blue seas so the holes line up, but having trouble matching voltage to the recommended on the MK site. 

1.) check your wiring on the TM to the plug....and to the TM itself.

2.) Definitely change out the Breaker

3.) Pulling two new wires should be easy (although it never is :) )....and this would give you piece of mind that it's all complete....don't forget, you could have corrosion on the crimps where you attach tot he battery.....

d

• Like 3