Restoring a 1994 Offshore Yachts 18-2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the offshore 18-2 good news is there is no wood in this hull and it’s a three part hull going to be interesting getting this thing apart to remove the gas tank which you can see is original this boat has had the cap off before don’t know why they didn’t change the tank out when they had it apart but no worries it’s coming out and getting a new one.

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

73404969893__403B9739-81A6-4C21-844D-D3A82FC66A28.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

• Like 3

Need some advice/recommendations I have established that this boat has no wood in it floors are solid transom is solid foam core construction the top cap has been off this boat before and I'm tinkering with the idea of cutting the floor open since the tank is sitting just forward of the console and just barely goes under front hatch that’s where the fill nozzle is this boat is either a three piece hull they took a lot of time cutting all around the underside of the hatches and reglassing it and done a really good job I might add, so what do y’all think? I still have a lot in store for this hull fixing the back hatches doing away with the starboard ones the previous owner put on there, new rub rails new or refurbished console fix all the gel coat and many other things that would make this boat live up to its full potential. 

• Topman410 changed the title to Restoring a 1994 Offshore Yachts 18-2

I’m not sure I understand the recommendations you are looking for. If it is to only cut the floor to remove the tank, that sounds like a decent plan. I have a 1992 master angler I currently have torn apart. I pulled the cap mainly because I have read too many story’s about failed stringer. Mine are in good shape but there is work to be done beneath the floor. The more you inspect before you start to refinish the better you will feel about the finished product. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and you are spot on, once i get the floor out to remove the tank I'll be looking at everything around it to assess the condition of the stringers. and base my next steps on the condition of them once I get it out ill post some more Pictures. thinking about a poly tank instead of aluminum as well.

• Like 1

I personally would go back with aluminum. every thing you read about poly tanks leaching fuel smell is true. The OEM tank I pulled out of my 1992 maverick was in good enough condition that I was thinking wow its not that bad maybe a cold tar coating could save it. but there is no way I would chance putting it back in. it lived its life for sure. 

• Like 3