Noisy Livewell pumps

PhilH

My Surflows make all kinds of racket too. 
I worried about it until I had schools of Dolphin chummed up to the boat and Sailfish eating live baits hanging over the side. 
Reach in and make sure the housing is tight and see if quiets at all.. 

MM

Sometimes the noise is in the pump motor, but sometimes the noise is in the connection where the pump threads onto the metal thru-hull fitting. Separate the pump and threaded pipe from the thru-hull fitting. Turn the pump on. If it's relatively quiet, the noise is coming from the connection between the threaded pipe and the thru-hull. The solution is to separate the threaded pipe from the thru-hull with a short piece of hose.  Cut about 4" off the threaded pipe below the pump motor. Using "Life-Caulk", caulk one end of the 4" threaded pipe and thread it into the thru-hull, then caulk the remaining part of the threaded pipe add a 4" piece of hose. Use two S/S hose clamps to secure hose to threaded pipe. Then connect the pump and remaining threaded pipe to the hose, using caulking and hose clamps. But, don't let the two ends of the threaded pipe touch. Leave about 1/2" between the two threaded pipes. 

15 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Sometimes the noise is in the pump motor, but sometimes the noise is in the connection where the pump threads onto the metal thru-hull fitting. Separate the pump and threaded pipe from the thru-hull fitting. Turn the pump on. If it's relatively quiet, the noise is coming from the connection between the threaded pipe and the thru-hull. The solution is to separate the threaded pipe from the thru-hull with a short piece of hose.  Cut about 4" off the threaded pipe below the pump motor. Using "Life-Caulk", caulk one end of the 4" threaded pipe and thread it into the thru-hull, then caulk the remaining part of the threaded pipe add a 4" piece of hose. Use two S/S hose clamps to secure hose to threaded pipe. Then connect the pump and remaining threaded pipe to the hose, using caulking and hose clamps. But, don't let the two ends of the threaded pipe touch. Leave about 1/2" between the two threaded pipes. 

Great idea….

Or is the pump running backwards, LOL

I have one Shurflo that is very quite. So much so it is hard to hear when I am doing my pre fishing check. 

The other is not really loud, but I can hear it turn on from the console.

I have learned that seating the cartridge into the housing on these Shurflo pumps is important and do not overtighten the ring. I leave mine just lightly snug.

• Like 1