Trailer Rust issues

rubble

Have noticed some rust starting on the galvanized axles where they are cupped at the bend.  Have treated with salt away and try to keep good and clean.  Wash off immediately after going in the salt.  Is there anything to help stop the rust process on these things?  We treat galvanized roof panels with a rust inhibiting primer prior to installing roof coatings.   Would it be reasonable to brush the galvanized down and do a similar process with a rust inhibiting primer and then putting some kind of paint over those axle areas?

IMG_1921.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1904.jpeg

• Like 2

When I put new axles on 2 seasons ago I pit several coats of this corrosion inhibitor on the axle before installation. 

From a simplistic standpoint it is  like cosmoline that is used to protect weapons for long term storage.

It goes on kind of waxy and it can be reapplied with minimal cleanup.

Here are some recent pictures.20240401_132657.thumb.jpg.a2a35b6115018990b2e3a8a5a0131f48.jpg20240401_132305.thumb.jpg.df4c374db2a0b6e5ca615482ecaf1154.jpg20240401_132324.thumb.jpg.7dfe011e49b816557a22ab22db096f6a.jpg

The little rust is just superficial and will soon get a touch up.

• Like 1

Gents, i dealt with this as well, but the simplest solution is to wire brush any loose rust away, then just hit it with some galvanized paint from HD or Lowes.  Let the zinc in the paint do the corroding.  I did this with my trailer a few years ago, hitting any non aluminum/steel areas that were rusting. I keep a can around and touch up any areas that start showing orange.  It works great.  

• Like 1