Maverick Master Angler 18.5 1994

fords4x4

Hello and thank you for welcoming me to the MBG forum. I'm excited about the prospect of acquiring a Master Angler 18.5 from the mid-1990s. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on what to watch out for when inspecting such a boat. The one I'm eyeing comes equipped with a 115 Yamaha 2-stroke engine from the same era, with very low hours. Despite its age, the boat appears to be in excellent condition, having been meticulously stored in a garage throughout its life.

I've been fortunate enough to receive numerous videos and pictures of the boat, and everything looks great. While it's unfortunate that the fuel tank hasn't been replaced, I'm inclined to take a chance on it given the remarkable condition of the vessel. Could anyone provide insights into what might be a fair price for a boat of this caliber? Additionally, it comes with an 80lbs thrust Minn Kota with i-Pilot, which seems like a valuable addition. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Like 1

Fords, I am happy to talk to you and share anything I know.  Regarding price, when you get to that age, the combo of hull and power is a big factor in the price. Original hull and original power, you cam pretty much count on having to repower it and replace the tank any some point.  The hull is probably worth 5-8k depending on condition.  You may pay that again to replace the tank when it goes.  The power, if original is probably worth 3k depending on condition.  Trailer maybe 1k or a little more depending in condition, I pilot 1k. 10-15k would seem reasonable, but nothing is reasonable anymore.  

The boat is a gamble, but wont be a good financial investment.  No boat is. It will need 20-25k in repairs/repower (figure 10k for tank, 10k for repower). at some point when the engine and tank go, but you also may get 5+ years out of it before that happens.    You could get older power and maybe get the tank done cheaper if that model has the tank in the bow vs the floor.  I cant remember when the moved them.  

If you did all of that, you have 30-35k in a boat you can probably sell for 20 (?).  You lose 10-15k.  

Buy a new boat, keep it 5 years, and you lose that same amount, plus any interest if you have a loan on it. 

Hi whichwaysup,

Thank you for sharing your insights, your expertise is greatly appreciated.

You've highlighted some important factors to consider when assessing the value of a boat, particularly regarding the hull, power, and potential maintenance costs. It's clear that maintaining an older boat can come with its share of expenses, especially when it comes to repowering and replacing tanks.

You're absolutely right that buying a boat, whether new or used, isn't typically a financial investment in the traditional sense. It's more about the enjoyment and experiences it brings rather than expecting a return on investment. But i would ultimately hate to own a true money pit.

Your breakdown of potential repair costs and resale value is sobering but realistic. I'd love to pick your brain a bit more about my specific situation. Would you mind if I private message you for further insights? 

Thank you. 

Fords4x4

I'm in for the learning of what the seller says about the performance with the 115. I am currently working on a 1992 18.5 Master angler. I am far from needing power but looking always at what I could find for a donor boat to my project. I want to consider a 115 SHO because they seem to pop up more often and a bit cheaper than the 150SHO. Everything I find on the 18.5 says the 150 is the way to go. I bought my boat with the OEM 150 2smoke Yamaha but sold the motor as I was tearing down the boat. I can tell you my tank would have likely lasted several more years as the pitting that was on the tank was not deep. Also my stingers are not cracked any where but the port stinger is not full of foam and would give a little bit when standing on the floor before I cut it out. I thought it was the floor material but found it was the stringer that was soft under foot.

6 hours ago, fords4x4 said:

While it's unfortunate that the fuel tank hasn't been replaced, I'm inclined to take a chance on it given the remarkable condition of the vessel.

I don't want to bust your enthusiasm :( but, your looking at at 30 y/o tanks....please see my post called the HOLY Ghost...it was a complete revamp.  You're looking at $6-8K for a new tank...plus most likely some new wiring......Mangroovin on the forum just did a post on his work.....I think the post has a sticky

Now, happy times - great boat...not a huge issue to replace the tank.

Keep bringing ideas and ????

Great people here....

dc

6 hours ago, fords4x4 said:

Additionally, it would be helpful if anyone has had any experience with the Yamaha 115 2 Stroke on the Master Anglers 18.5 and could provide insights into the kind of output they're getting.

My MA17 had a 2 stroke...you can't kill them...it had plenty of power with a 4 blade for hole shot....top end only in the Low to mid 30's fully loaded...

dc

22 hours ago, fords4x4 said:

Hi whichwaysup,

Thank you for sharing your insights, your expertise is greatly appreciated.

You've highlighted some important factors to consider when assessing the value of a boat, particularly regarding the hull, power, and potential maintenance costs. It's clear that maintaining an older boat can come with its share of expenses, especially when it comes to repowering and replacing tanks.

You're absolutely right that buying a boat, whether new or used, isn't typically a financial investment in the traditional sense. It's more about the enjoyment and experiences it brings rather than expecting a return on investment. But i would ultimately hate to own a true money pit.

Your breakdown of potential repair costs and resale value is sobering but realistic. I'd love to pick your brain a bit more about my specific situation. Would you mind if I private message you for further insights? 

Thank you. 

Fords4x4

Sent you a PM with my contact info. Always happy to talk!

I have a 1997 MA 17ft with an original 115 2stroke.  I picked it up in 2019 and have had no issues so far.  I run low 30’s fully loaded  in the 4200-4200 rpm range just because I don’t want to push it too hard.  Happy to talk through anything you’d like.

Fords4x4, I went through the same deliberations you are when purchasing and ultimately decided to pull the trigger.  I can’t tell you how happy I am that i did.  I love the boat and will most likely put the money in when needed for new tank, power, rewiring etc.  

reach out if you’d like to chat

• Like 1