Repower suggestions on 2003 MA 21

Flatlanta

Starting the research rabbit hole on repowering a 2003 MA 21.  Currently running 225 yamaha hpdi vmax from same year.  Boat runs great with current motor but it's approaching time - always chasing issues.  I've already had the boat fully re-wired & no plans to mess with the fuel tank until I have to as I've had zero fuel issues (other than engine fuel injectors which I understand is a trademark of the old vmax).  The two primary uses for the boat are shallow water fishing in either Tampa Bay or Charlotte Harbor areas & just general family fun around TB.  Cruising to barrier islands, sandbars, whatever.  Trailer it a couple times a year somewhere - scallop beds, keys for tarpon, etc.  

However my kids are young, and growing fast!, which means I'm in the weeds a lot juggling kiddos and my fishing trips are driven by minimizing time on the water in many cases.  I expect my world to open up in terms of how I can use the boat in the next ~3 years so I want to forward think.  I don't really have interest in going offshore but expect longer runs over deeper water when I have longer windows to fish.  E.g. from St. Pete to Anna Maria or Manatee River.  Today - outside a couple of trips a year I'm lucky if I get a 4 hour window so I go somewhere fast and close.

I'll lay out my current thought process - but I'm really looking for suggestions on specific motors if any MA owners have experience, general things to consider in the process, or any other nuggets of knowledge as it's my first time repowering any boat.  

1) I'm concerned with weight.  I feel like the current motor is a tad on the heavy side for the boat (524lbs dry).  I certainly don't want heavier.  This is why I'm looking at 200s but it doesn't seem that saves much if any weight in many cases - I'm a bit surprised for example the Yamaha in line 4 200 is a bag of ice lighter than the SHO 225.

2) I'm more concerned with hole shot than top end if I have to trade off.  Jumping on plane quick in the back country is important to me.  

I'm currently pricing out Yamaha SHO 200, 225 + Yamaha in line 4 200.  Mercury Pro XS 200/225 + Mercury Standard 4 Stroke 200/225.  Also looking at Suzukis which I think have a bad rep but I've got several local lifelong Tampa Bay boater friends that own and swear by them - the 4 stroke 200 is the only one with correct shaft length.

Thanks in advance for any intel.

I repowered my 03 RF in late 2017 with SHO 250.  It had the VMAX 200.  From what I recall the 200, 225, and 250 all weigh the same.

Remember that you get to eliminate the oil tank which saves some weight.  SHO is best motor I've ever had.  RF runs great with it and still can get amazingly shallow.😎

Thanks for the feedback.  Seems I need to look at the SHO 250.  Good call Mangroovin on the oil tank - silly and obvious miss.  I was already thinking of how nice that would make tinkering with components without that thing in the way - but didn't piece together a big tank of oil has weight as well hah.

I’ll check on the max hp.  Thanks again for all the feedback.  SHO 250 crowd, can anyone educate me from their experience on the value you get for your dollar going with 250 over 225?  Does it actually improve hole shot and are we talking a few mph at WOT?

Without a second thought, I'd hang a Mercury ProXS 225 or 250 on your boat.  Because...

Mercury ProXS:    Same hp and gear ratio - 6200 max RPM
        511 LBS.
        Displacement 4.6L V-8
        TorqueMaster Gearcase
        Digital Throttle and Shift
        Superior Fuel Economy and Faster Top speed

Yamaha SHO:    Same hp and gear ratio - 6000 max RPM
        529 LBS.
        Displacement 4.2L V-6

With that said, I love the Suzuki 90 on my skiff.  The advantage of all Suzuki outboards is the lower gear ratio for hole-shot and fuel economy.  If the heavier weight and slightly slower top speed don't bother you, the Suzuki is an outstanding choice for quiet, efficient power.  They have digital throttle and shift too!

On 4/13/2024 at 8:38 AM, Chief5130 said:

I do not think the 2003 was rated for a 250.  I might be wrong, but if it is, most dealers will not mount a 250 on it.  

All the 4.2L Yamahas are the same exact powerhead.  Only difference is computer mapping.  I’d be looking for a SHO 200 and then calling Nizpro for a tune to 332hp.  You will be coast guard compliant with a cowling saying 200hp but faster and more fuel efficient tuned to 332.  

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

You will be coast guard compliant with a cowling saying 200hp but faster and more fuel efficient tuned to 332.

Do Coast Guard regulations specify cowling stickers or actual horsepower?  Could insurance coverage be denied in any event?  Could Yamaha warranty coverage be declined if a new motor ECU is flashed?  Is a 4.2L motor, flashed to 332 hp really more fuel efficient?

For the record, I loved my Yamaha VF115 SHO, it is a great motor with plenty of power for its size.  I just think Mercury and Suzuki are more innovative and up-to-date at this moment.  Things can change though, and often do.

18 hours ago, geeviam said:

Without a second thought, I'd hang a Mercury ProXS 225 or 250 on your boat.  Because...

Mercury ProXS:    Same hp and gear ratio - 6200 max RPM
        511 LBS.
        Displacement 4.6L V-8
        TorqueMaster Gearcase
        Digital Throttle and Shift
        Superior Fuel Economy and Faster Top speed

Yamaha SHO:    Same hp and gear ratio - 6000 max RPM
        529 LBS.
        Displacement 4.2L V-6

With that said, I love the Suzuki 90 on my skiff.  The advantage of all Suzuki outboards is the lower gear ratio for hole-shot and fuel economy.  If the heavier weight and slightly slower top speed don't bother you, the Suzuki is an outstanding choice for quiet, efficient power.  They have digital throttle and shift too!

Do you have experience with digital throttle on a skiff?  Another debate of mine.  Driven plenty of boats with digital and love it, but those are all bigger bay boat hulls.  I’ve been debating on this boat due to thinking throttle stiffness can come in handy when running in slop. 

16 minutes ago, Flatlanta said:

Do you have experience with digital throttle on a skiff?  Another debate of mine.  Driven plenty of boats with digital and love it, but those are all bigger bay boat hulls.  I’ve been debating on this boat due to thinking throttle stiffness can come in handy when running in slop. 

I do not have experience with digital throttle on a skiff.  I'm just tired of the stiffness and the difficulty "fine-tuning" RPM with cable throttles.  The RPMs usually jump or drop more than I want.  I have not heard of any disappointment from end-users on digital throttle - only good things.  I'm willing to take that leap on my next motor purchase.

1 hour ago, geeviam said:

Do Coast Guard regulations specify cowling stickers or actual horsepower?  Could insurance coverage be denied in any event?  Could Yamaha warranty coverage be declined if a new motor ECU is flashed?  Is a 4.2L motor, flashed to 332 hp really more fuel efficient?

CC regulates the manufacturers rated HP of a specific model.  Based on model and serial number.  Normally located on the midsection clamp.  I can’t answer on insurance.  Most folks flash a different PC so they can keep their original for possible warranty coverage.  As far as fuel efficiency, I have several friends with flashed 4.2’s.  All of them gained fuel efficiency, especially the 200 to 332.  

• Like 1

I’m running mechanical control on a 250 sho, have run digital on a seahunt BX 24 ( Friends Boat) much easier control, warning if someone is moving the boat warn them about easiness of the control so no one goes swimming! Digital steering on the other side I’ve heard of issues and know folks who have run in using throttle control on twins because of steering loss

I have the SHO 200 on my 06 21 MA.  Hole shot is amazing, esp with a little tabs.  If I got a new motor the only thing I’d change would be to go to the 250.  

If you wanted to stay in compliance with your hulls rated HP, you would most likely see no diff in hole shot between the 225 and 250 and the top end should only vary 2-4 MPH if it all.  I love my 4 stroke 

I love my VF115 SHO, I am a fan of the Yamaha motors, don't forget about looking into the addition of a Hydro Jack plate.  That may help you out in the hole hot area because you will be able to raise the motor and stay out off the bottom.  Just make sure the mechanic knows what he is doing when mounting it...I believe weight distribution comes into play.  My buddies Phoenix Merc 250 just through a blade off his stainless prop and tore up hi torque master...That's a 10K fix....

Torque Master.jpg

• Sad 3