Pathfinder 2200 stress cracks. How concerning?

Capt.CF

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading these forums for years but never had a reason to post until now. Hoping to get some valuable insight from people that may have more experience than me. I have a new to me 2004 pathfinder 2200 TE. I have noticed these stress cracks that have grown more concerning as I read. My first thought was it had to be the trailer either set up wrong or the previous owner loading it incorrectly (I haven’t even had a chance to use the boat once yet due to motor issues) I’m waiting to get the boat into a fiberglass shop for another week or so until they can take the boat, although after a glance at a photo they didn’t seem concerned. I understand the internet can be a breeding ground for misinformation, but I do feel that this forum has a ton of valuable insight to offer regarding these boats.

please let me know your thoughts!

thanks in advance 

IMG_3779.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3776.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

8 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I’m with the not a lot to worry about crowd.  I am not sure I have read much about stringer failures on the pathfinder hulls.  

I had a 2005 that completely delaminated  two years after I purchased it and required the entire floor to be cut out and stringers replaced....they had the problem with the late 2004 and 2005's.

There were reports of about 2-3 dozen that had the problem...it can be fixed....sorry to be the bearer of bad news....mine looked the same, then it completely delaminated....get it to a dealer and have them do an assessment.

As stated, it could be a trailer loading issue....

DC

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses! I’ll keep my fingers crossed on this one here and let you know what the glass guys say. I’m in the st Pete area and I believe the nearest pathfinder dealer is somewhere in Tampa. I’ll have to give them a shout and get their opinion as well. Wannaflatsfish, what year did yours start to delaminate? There is something in the back of my head that says well it made it this far, but on the other hand I suppose it could happen anytime

I suggest you have someone inspect the tabbing and adhesion of the stringers to the hull, you might need a remote camera.  Gelcoat cracks can come from a number of sources.  You want to make sure it’s not hull flexing causing those spider cracks.

• Thanks 1

Wanaflatsfish,

what year did your delamination take place? Also, if you don’t mind me asking what was the general cost for the repair? Hoping this isn’t what this boat needs but if it is I’ll unfortunately be going that route.

thank you to all others for your input as well

Over the years I have  come to  be suspicious of having vertical bunks.

My previous  boat had vertical supports but was lucky. 

My present 04 TE has horizontal 2x6 and you can see them flex when being loaded onto the trailer. 

I  feel that the slight flex allows some give over the long span making the bumps easier  on the hull. Naturally  the connection  to the trailer are rigid areas but overall it allows for some give.

Those vertical bunks create too many hard spots.

Hey Capt. CF.

Did you ask the seller about those cracks when you bought the boat ?

Damage should always be disclosed.

I agree on the trailer impact opinion. The radiant cracks are typical for impacts. Best to get them looked at before you have a problem.

MM

I did ask him to which he was completely unaware. What caught my attention to begin with was the keel gel coat was down to the resin partially and that’s what opened the dialogue. He had mentioned that they had beached the boat many times over the years. The boat was stored on a trailer and at a quick glance the cracks are not noticeable. I do believe he was unaware of them.

He was happy to negotiate in the price with the newfound repairs needed, but negotiated on the basis that they were strictly gel coat and must have been a result of either trailer or beaching.

i have my fingers crossed that that is the case and that this boat doesn’t need stringers. I am a part time guide and aside from the money the repair would set me back a ton of time unfortunately. Especially missing out on my busiest time (tarpon season) we will see!

I owned an 05' for 16 years. Mine had similar cracks which turned out to be cosmetic. Have a good glass shop sound out the hull and then grind out the cracks and repair with fiberglass, not filler.

Once my boat was repaired properly, the cracks never came back. I also bought an Ameritrail bunk trailer which cradled the boat better than the roller trailer the boat came with. In my opinion, the problem that caused the cracks in my boat was the original roller trailer.

Don't panic.

Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

That’s the plan! It’s turned into a sudden cluster unfortunately. I had prepped to put the motor from my previous vessel onto this one therefore taking that one out of service but with this up in the air for the moment I can’t put this one in service at all so it’s a bit of a loss. I’m not a pass the buck kind of guy and I’ve wanted a tournament pathfinder for quite some time, so this boat will be getting fixed one way or another and it will be kept.

to keep everyone updated that might be following along: I put a very high quality bore scope into the hull through some of the accesses of forward live well plumbing and the in floor hatch that drains to the bilge. Unfortunately it is so dark in there (shocker) that the light the scope puts off isn’t enough until you’re right up against something. I tried other ways of getting additional light in there but didn’t succeed. 

I’ve also pushed as hard as I can in the areas of all the cracks underneath and haven’t been able to find any flex whatsoever. Not sure that that actually means anything as I’m sure I can’t produce the load that running the boat can, but it’s hope at least

I’ll speculate that the boat will be removed from trailer and placed in a rack, if so now would be the time to address the trailer support, all of the board brackets are bolted in should be an easy fix, pictures of the boat on the water after repairs with a tarpon next to her would be nice! Lol 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 9:11 AM, Capt.CF said:

Wanaflatsfish,

what year did your delamination take place? Also, if you don’t mind me asking what was the general cost for the repair? Hoping this isn’t what this boat needs but if it is I’ll unfortunately be going that route.

thank you to all others for your input as well

Mine was a 2005 and all repairs were under warranty.

they had to cut out the floor and re-attach the stringers to the skin....I would imagine in today's $ your looking at $5-8K - less than a new boat for sure.  I would have a marine surveyor do a sounding on the hull with a rubber mallet and determine if there is any voids on the stringers.   It's all labor...so, find a good marine fiberglass shop and you can get it repaired if that's the problem.