2000 Bayfisher - Transom Accessories

60hertz

I'm heading into a stage where I want to freshen up my 2000 18' Bayfisher. 

The powdercoat from the poling platform has started to blister and peel and so it's time to remove it to have it sandblasted and fresh powder coat applied.

Should I use this as an opportunity to remove the trim tabs too and redo the 5200 on them as well? Or, let sleeping dogs lie? 

I've already removed and replaced all of the other through hull fittings - bilge drain plug, cheese grater, livewell drains, cockpit drains, and navigation lights.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 5:14 PM, 60hertz said:

I'm heading into a stage where I want to freshen up my 2000 18' Bayfisher. 

The powdercoat from the poling platform has started to blister and peel and so it's time to remove it to have it sandblasted and fresh powder coat applied.

Should I use this as an opportunity to remove the trim tabs too and redo the 5200 on them as well? Or, let sleeping dogs lie? 

I've already removed and replaced all of the other through hull fittings - bilge drain plug, cheese grater, livewell drains, cockpit drains, and navigation lights.

At 24yrs old the original sealant is likely compromised. Definitely pull, clean, and fully bed in new sealant everything you have access too. If any sign of rust on the screws replace with new 316 SS. 
Most I know don’t recommend 5200 ever.              3M 4000uv is better 4200 above and below the water line, plus available in white and black. 
Mine is a 2000 Bayfisher 16’ and I redid everything on mine including all screws and bolts. After prepping everything for re-installing I taped around the border of whatever I was installing and then put enough sealant on to make it like I was pushing into cookie dough. I didn’t want there to be any chance of salt water ever penetrating in between causing the ring of rust often seen.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:46 AM, searing said:

At 24yrs old the original sealant is likely compromised. Definitely pull, clean, and fully bed in new sealant everything you have access too. If any sign of rust on the screws replace with new 316 SS. 
Most I know don’t recommend 5200 ever.              3M 4000uv is better 4200 above and below the water line, plus available in white and black. 
Mine is a 2000 Bayfisher 16’ and I redid everything on mine including all screws and bolts. After prepping everything for re-installing I taped around the border of whatever I was installing and then put enough sealant on to make it like I was pushing into cookie dough. I didn’t want there to be any chance of salt water ever penetrating in between causing the ring of rust often seen.

Can you please discuss what you did to prep for reinstalling everything?
Did you fill all of the existing holes with epoxy and re-drill? Or did you just reuse the existing holes?
Did you use the same size hardware, or go with slightly larger screws?