Excess water in gas tank

Every spring I siphon a small amount of gas from my gas tank (2003  Redfisher 18) to insure no condensation over the winter. Usually I find a tablespoon or two, but Friday there was over a quart of water before it turned clear. I always use non-ethanol gas and puzzled by this significant increase. Has anyone else had this issue?

Jim Michie

Is the boat covered or indoors during the winter? That would rule out rain water. It could be as simple as you bought bad gas and it settled out. It could be intrusion from outside the tank. 
 Was the gas tank full of gas? A lower level in the tank will allow condensate to form more than a full tank. 
 If you do not smell gas fumes that would indicate a bad gasket in the system I’m not sure there is much you can do at this point other than monitor your fuel separating filter closely. 

• Like 3

One thing to remember is the place you buy the gas could have water in their tanks sometimes from the transport service. You are buying non ethanol gas but that doesn’t prevent the gas at the station from having some water in it. 
I had a few bad experiences here in Savannah where I would fill up, go fishing and come back and take water separator off and find a teaspoon or so water in the separator. So, the water separator did its job..but sometimes you can get that water at the pump and it’s not your boat fuel tank. Just check it regularly a few times after going fishing and see if you have water in it. If you put a few drops of oil on the gasket before re-installing the water separator, you don’t have to put a new one on every time you check it. 
I have had zero issues since buying my non ethanol fuel from the new Kroger gas station on Wilmington Island. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The boat is outside but covered, and always toped off before returning home. The gas station's (Miramar Beach) non-ethanol pumps are always busy with landscapers, I would assume there would be little chance of contaminated gas. 

I'm at a loss. It looks like there may be hole somewhere in the tank. Is this possible?

Is it expensive to repair/replace?

Jim Michie

2 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I would honestly think if you have a hole in your tank you would have found signs of gas or fumes outside the tank rather than water inside the tank. Can the tank be replaced yes it can.. is it expensive? Probably. 

You have a 21 y/o tank.....time for a face lift in the next few years......if you plan on keeping it, plan out a month for repairs and get it done.  Mangroovin just had his done.....looked reasonable.....

DC