'99-'00 2200V Rod Locker Seat Cushion Swap to Hard Surface

Purchased a '00 Pathfinder 2200V with '04 Yamaha VMAX 200 last summer, on impulse. Thought just had aesthetics to refurb, shouldn't have rushed the acquisition. 

Starting to go through the boat now, and one of the first things to address, I am unsure of, are the seat cushions on the lids of the rod locker storage. 

I would prefer to go to a hard surface, possibly with Sea Deck. Something more like the updated design in the early 2000s models. 

My question...has anyone tried to swap/install the '02 and newer model rod locker hatch lids on the older 2200s? Are the dimensions the same? Does seem to be a few differences in the update, but lid looks like it could be a direct swap? Likely will glass one, but would love to save the work. 

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_5357.jpeg

IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

I do not think I have seen anyone actually make a fiberglass part to replace the seat. I’m not sure how soft you want the “seat” to be. I think the easy play is to build a cover out of starboard. They make starboard with non skid on the top. I think you could make a nice looking piece by putting a second layer that would fit into the lip around the three sides of the box and give the lid the look of some depth. Just throwing out an idea. It may not be anywhere close to what you would want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been looking at flooring options for my project. The thought occurs to me that you could take a piece of coosa board and do some router work and have a fiberglass lid. You could cut it large enough to fit over the lip on the three sides and router the inside down to fit the opening. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2024 at 9:10 PM, HoneyB said:

I do not think I have seen anyone actually make a fiberglass part to replace the seat. I’m not sure how soft you want the “seat” to be. I think the easy play is to build a cover out of starboard. They make starboard with non skid on the top. I think you could make a nice looking piece by putting a second layer that would fit into the lip around the three sides of the box and give the lid the look of some depth. Just throwing out an idea. It may not be anywhere close to what you would want. 

Thanka for reply! Using starboard was one idea. It looks like once removing the "cushion" from the hard backer, I at the very least have a nice template. I just don't care for the "seat cushions". I don't know that we would ever sit/ride in those locations. Would just be another place to stand. 

On 4/23/2024 at 6:27 PM, HoneyB said:

I have been looking at flooring options for my project. The thought occurs to me that you could take a piece of coosa board and do some router work and have a fiberglass lid. You could cut it large enough to fit over the lip on the three sides and router the inside down to fit the opening. 

I had a buddy make this suggestion. He felt making a fiberglass mold wouldn't be hard, but just routering out the slots for the lid to sit "flush" in with coosa would be pretty easy. I need to get a sheet of coosa for a microskiff project anyway. This might be my "route", haha 🤦‍♂️. Thanks again!