Opinions Please - finally getting around to getting my photography charter business up and running

6 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I don't want to scare off clients :)

DC

Looks good but some of the info is too small for me to read on my mobile device.  I’m using an iPad and can’t make out some areas unless I zoom way in and then scroll back and forth to read an entire line.  

IMG_0416.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

• Like 1

I opened your website on my 13" MacBook Air. There are a couple sections of text that are so small that I was unable to read the text. I mean REALLY small. And a few other sections including your contact info where the words were broken up onto two different lines. Those are probably just settings issues. However, from the perspective of the user experience, I would design your website so that there are a ton of your best photos that are already visible when the site opens. And I would make sure to have photos of your boat and yes, you, on the site. As a potential customer, I want to see who I am going out with and what their boat looks like. I have a law firm here in Tampa, www.hancockinjuryattorneys.com, and we spend thousands of dollars a month on the SEO and maintenance of the website. Spending that amount of money is necessary for our industry because of how competitive it is in our area. I am not saying in any way that you need to do the same. I just mention it because we have worked for years to make the site as pleasing and user friendly as possible, and I have studied what helps convert visitors into clients. With all due respect, and I am truly trying to provide constructive criticism, make it more visually pleasing. Try to make it look less like a simple brochure. The photos you have are great, but I recommend making them front and center. I wish you the best of luck. About 35% of our new personal injury cases come from our website. That is why we can spend so much on our website SEO services. A well designed website and best practices SEO could potentially attract many new clients to you. Especially because I wouldn't think you have that many competitors. That will also make it easier for you to outrank any competitors with a well designed website. I have a friend who has a company named Marine Marketing Pros. www.marinemarketingpros.com. His name is Brad Caffey. In a previous lifetime he was a charter captain in Southwest Florida. He went on to start a business designing websites for law firms. A year or so ago he started Marine Marketing Pros and is now also doing the same for the fishing industry. Brad is a great guy. I suggest you reach out to him. He loves to help people, and is always willing to offer a free consultation to discuss your needs. And he still loves fishing. He would be the best person to give you constructive criticism and critique your website. If you call Brad, tell him we know each other on this forum. He also loves fishing with me on my 21' Maverick Master Angler. Mike Hancock

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George Seither said:

DC something changes, yesterday when I signed in fonts was larger on the home PC, today and as reported all very small 

yes, I did a change last night and I think I messed up the fonts....

I did it on one page and it went across the entire site.

DC

I know that you are proud of  what you have accomplished and should be. However,  most people are going to quit reading because it is too long  and personal. 

Break up the information into separate sections with pictures that emphasize the written content.

When talking about the boat include a picture of the boat in the environment you are trying to  sell.

On your biography a small black and white picture in uniform  with a larger color picture that is up to date. 

When talking photography  give some  examples of what they will encounter. 

Pictures  will catch their attention and then they will read a SHORT narrative to explain the picture.

If they like what they see they will want it. Reading involves thinking and imagination which is a  precious commodity in today's  world. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smilemaker said:

I know that you are proud of  what you have accomplished and should be. However,  most people are going to quit reading because it is too long  and personal. 

Break up the information into separate sections with pictures that emphasize the written content.

When talking about the boat include a picture of the boat in the environment you are trying to  sell.

On your biography a small black and white picture in uniform  with a larger color picture that is up to date. 

When talking photography  give some  examples of what they will encounter. 

Pictures  will catch their attention and then they will read a SHORT narrative to explain the picture.

If they like what they see they will want it. Reading involves thinking and imagination which is a  precious commodity in today's  world. 

Thank you.....lots of changes forthcoming...

dc

• Like 1

Dino, think about USA Today versus a newspaper from 50 years ago.  Most people don't read anymore 😔  Also, keep in mind that social media (IG, FB, TicTok) have largely replaced websites for most guides.  I don't think many guides are keeping their websites "fresh", but they post to IG, etc. every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

Dino, think about USA Today versus a newspaper from 50 years ago.  Most people don't read anymore 😔  Also, keep in mind that social media (IG, FB, TicTok) have largely replaced websites for most guides.  I don't think many guides are keeping their websites "fresh", but they post to IG, etc. every day.

thank you dave.....yes, I agree....that's next in line....

DC

• Like 1

Dino,  Have you ever heard of a photographer/author by the name of Bill Fortney?  Was a Nikon guy and retired and then went to Fuji.  Wrote “America from 500 Feet” which was basically a drone photography book before that was ever a thing.  He did it from ultra light aircraft like paramotors. 

Edited by rubble
Revised

3 hours ago, rubble said:

Dino,  Have you ever heard of a photographer/author by the name of Bill Fortney?  Was a Nikon guy and retired and then went to Fuji.  Wrote “America from 500 Feet” which was basically a drone photography book before that was ever a thing.  He did it from ultra light aircraft like paramotors. 

no, but, thank you....I'll look for it and google his name....

BTW, try the site now....i think it's up and running on both the web and mobile....please let me know....i checked it on my MAC, Ipad and phone....

dc

• Like 1