NIGHT VISION GOOGLES OR HAND HELD = DOES ANYONE HAVE RECOMMENDATION OR ONE THEY CAN LEND ME?

I would suggest that someone other than the driver use the night vision glasses . If your the driver as soon as you remove the night vision goggles it may take 20 minutes for your eyes to adjust . It’s another world making a night run to Bimini the faster your running and the larger the swells are the more difficult it is to see a boat . We almost hit a sail boat sitting still not far from Cat Cay the light it had on was way higher that  we  would have thought it should be . All night vision googles are not created equal . 

I’ve been looking into something for better night vision too, but more for navigating inshore. I plan to do a lot more night fishing and not really sure what to get. I have the FMT card and it’s great for markers and such but it doesn’t help avoid floating debris, or crab buoys, etc. The inferred cameras like the Flirs are awesome and maybe the best but the size and cost isn’t practical for my small boat. A spot light or powerful flash light works but probably not legal and I don’t like the idea near homes where it may look like I’m snooping into backyards. Any recommendations?

Dino,

There are places that rent the night vision gear and thermal imaging binoculars.  I didn’t see any local places in my quick Google search but there were a lot of vendors. Tactical supply places and feral hog hunting applications.

We use a thermal image binocular on our hunting lease and it works superbly locating downed game at night and even blood trails.. Would probably be great for keeping track of the paddle boarders in the darkness.  You will have a full moon on 23June, rising at 2230hrs. Vis will be good as long as it isn’t cloudy or raining. A chase boat with radar would be handy.. 

Marc

Have ya thought of going out to the guide community to assist with vessels having night vision equipment or contacting manufacturers to assist with the charity paddle? If tax deductible you may get some hits on folks that need some deductions, I nosed around and Sionyx now 1900 for Aurora FLIR double this.

10 hours ago, Moderator said:

A chase boat with radar would be handy.. 

Marc:

For the Crossing, there are 8 safety boats with several with RADAR...as well, they are given access from the USCG to all freighter traffic during the day and night...there is some type of system they access....last year, we saw two freighters within 3-5 miles which was a bit close when you are paddling at 4 mph....

Good to know about the full moon....I wish I could pull a full trolling lures....nothing like giant dolphin on a full moon at night....ooooops, did I reveal a secret :)

The paddlers must be within 15-20 feet at all times at night behind the boat....no music until the morning....the safety boat per launch group - we were F2, is always within 10 minutes of running to the slowest paddlers.....last year, there was several evacuations due to excessive vomitting and dehydration, one idiot family Brought along a 3 y/o who went into heat stroke on their boat and was rushed to FLL inlet, one guy was given IV's at sea, and other, my daughter took care of who got food poison at the dock the night before we left......SH&^TTT happens....for safety, .they have life jackets, whistles, etc. etc. at night  they must stay within a boat length and are normally right behind the stern to draft a bit...

it's an adventure...but, very well organized and safe...

dc

7 hours ago, George Seither said:

Have ya thought of going out to the guide community to assist with vessels having night vision equipment or contacting manufacturers to assist with the charity paddle? If tax deductible you may get some hits on folks that need some deductions, I nosed around and Sionyx now 1900 for Aurora FLIR double this.

yeah, looking at this one...

My daughter has a friend ex-Navy just retired and we hoping some of his "SEAL" friends might have some toys to lend us....if not, I"ll buy one, use it one night, and return for the re-stocking fee....or sell at a discount...I don't need it for my photography or guide business.

DC

6 hours ago, Captcody72 said:

Be Careful taking night Vision/ Hunting thermals out of the country. Pretty much all night vision worth anything is itar restricted. That being said wearable night vision on the boat is game changing. I brought a few sets down to the owners event last year and everyone that played with them as shocked.

IMG_1004 (2).MOV

thank you....I'll check with Bimini...I don't believe it should be an issue as I am participating in a sanctioned Bahamian Event.....

Yes, I want one this time....if I have to buy it and then re-sell it, I'll do so.  Last time is was "harry"  out on the ocean with freighters in the distance

DC

15 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

thank you....I'll check with Bimini...I don't believe it should be an issue as I am participating in a sanctioned Bahamian Event.....

Yes, I want one this time....if I have to buy it and then re-sell it, I'll do so.  Last time is was "harry"  out on the ocean with freighters in the distance

DC

ITAR stands for  International Traffic in Arms Regulations which is the US Government regulations that control the import and export of defense products. It's uncle Sam that cares about that stuff not the Royal Bahamas Defence Force. You can take digital night vision out of the country but Image Intensification (analog Tubes) above gen 1 are restricted. 

Attached here is a bunch of great Info: 

https://tnvc.com/ufaqs/can-i-export-night-vision/

Your Best bet would be digital night vision like the Sionyx OPSIN or maybe even the AURORA BLACK and a cheap IR  illuminator. 

That being said I sell Image Intensification night vision systems here is South Florida and have lots options from PVS 14, 1431, PVS 31, PVS31SG and even a s set of GPNVG-18 for sale.

0.png.7c510c2cb8a5cc429c7fb563a8285124.png

5 hours ago, Captcody72 said:

Sionyx OPSIN or maybe even the AURORA BLACK and a cheap IR  illuminator. 

I've been looking at these...thank you so much for the information.....I didn't realize the restrictions.

All I really need is the ability to see 3-5 miles and break through the myriad of lights....I'm not out looking to shoot Bambi or anything....just not get hit by a freighter :)

dc

5 hours ago, Captcody72 said:

Attached here is a bunch of great Info: 

Wooooah.....serious stuff...interesting that it's illegal that a non citizen cannot look through the equipment....hmmmmmm...City of Chicago is talking about allow non citizen illegal imigrants to be police officers....wonder how that might work ?

dc

• Haha 1