New Mav 18 HPXV porpoising. Thoughts?

Mega Bites

4 trips on new boat and shaking out a few things.  Biggest remaining issue is at 35 mph plus, it porpoises and gets worse obviously as you add speed.  115hp.  Top hole 19 pitch prop as came from Maverick.  Power pole, lithium start battery in front hatch, two 12 v lithium for trolling motor in console.  135 lb Riptide Instinct on bow offset starboard.  Found starboard trim not actually working plus transducer giving rooster tail.  Great dealer will figure it out.  

Bounces with two people and does same whether full or half fuel.  Taking to dealer with half fuel to check out.  

all thoughts welcome.  No jack plate but have had on every other boat.  Not a lot of clearance when engine tilts and bottom of poling platform. Others with same boat in area not having problem even with 150 HP.  

gathering ideas

2 hours ago, Mega Bites said:

Top hole 19 pitch prop as came from Maverick.

99% sure it's the prop....

Found starboard trim not actually working plus transducer giving rooster tail.

Poor QC on the trim tabs...most likely just the connection at the helm or the wiring in the bilge...

Transducer rooster tail can be fixed with a piece of thin metal over the top

Thanks…Have little doubt its a loose wiring issue….Dealer had to cut into starboard rear storage to hook up drain hoses that were not connected to the stern when manufactured…likely connection  knocked loose as exit drain behind trim tab…I have no doubt trim tab worked when dealer delivered boat..they are very thorough…drain problem discovered on first wash….

I do understand about the piece of metal on the transducer option…but it is too low….just a bit…

Transducer, malfunctioning trim tab and trolling motor all on same side has to be impacting but is that all

Be great if all moot, when these two things get fixed…but thinking 

IMG_1065.jpeg

IMG_0953.jpeg

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, George Seither said:

In the first year any issues head to the dealer till resolved, hopefully your done! Research the transducer spray shields all spray shields are not created equal. Theres loads of prop discussion on Maverick boats that should help ya. 

Indeed…good news is I have an excellent dealer in Tim’s Marine  that I have full confidence….they took the manufacturing defect issue to Maverick with videos and images…agreed on a fix that sounded awful having to cut a hole in the storage box to get access.  They connected the hoses to the external drains that weren’t done at the factory….did a beautiful job visually as well …..very skilled, conscientious and responsive….this will be just a small bump in the road…

Mega Bites , I replied to the e mail that you sent me asking about your boat porpoising issue . If you do the first two things I suggested it should make a world of a difference that if needed get the third item . Hope that you get as much enjoyment out of your 18 HPX as I did . That was an amazing boat .   Joe R 

• Like 2

Joe Thanks Joe.  Your email didn’t come through.  I had a problem with an incorrect email address in my account that now has been fixed.  It’s steveuffman@gmail.com.  

the incorrect email had a  period in between my first and last name.   Would you mind resending to my correct email.  Sorry about that