What power tech prop on your 18 HpXV with 115?

I have other thread but meeting with dealer to ride tomorrow.  Fixed Loose connection on trim tab and raised transducer so a normal baseline.  Dealer says slight porpoise but didn’t run it beyond 35.   Was able to reduce bounce with trim but big test tomorrow.    

dealer installed 19” power tech but doesn’t have a lot of experience with this model.  I have reached out to Markus at Power Tech. I see on here some have 21.   

trying to figure best option before next step

thoughts?

• Moderator changed the title to What power tech prop on your 18 HpXV with 115?

Markus at Power Tech was very helpful.  Many thanks for that.  Below is the 1st recommendation based on what several guides running similar configurations .  Interesting discussion about changing center of gravity using Lighter Lithium than lead batteries, power pole, heavier trolling motor.  Plan B is a similar prop with more stern lift (I think he said).  I will report back.  

very valuable forum and seemingly void of trolls-which is really nice😉

IMG_1667.png

Update on prop.  After fixing loose connection on starboard trim and moving up the transducer, still pursuing in a step by step approach the porpoising issue.  Markus suggested two props but had neither in stock at the moment.  He sent two others to test and gather information.   Both pushed the stern up and bow down.  One reduced most of the porpoising but didn’t give top end RPMs expected.  Other helped minimally.  Dealer sending findings to Markus and we will be ready for next iteration.   Wedges and cavitation plate still  in tool kit. Confident we will solve.   Testing still Less than half tank fuel as it would often be on ride home

• Like 1

Mercury spitfire ,, just saying! 
 But I’m sure power tec will find you something that works. It’s good your dealer is still involved. Says good things about him wanting to get the set up right. 
I wouldn’t mind wedges it that’s what it takes but I would think you can work the problem out without adding a plate to your motor. That just doesn’t seem like a good way to have to set up the motor on a new boat. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Mercury spitfire ,, just saying! 
 But I’m sure power tec will find you something that works. It’s good your dealer is still involved. Says good things about him wanting to get the set up right. 
I wouldn’t mind wedges it that’s what it takes but I would think you can work the problem out without adding a plate to your motor. That just doesn’t seem like a good way to have to set up the motor on a new boat. 

Any more specs on the Mercury Spitfire?

Update.  FYI Testing again tomorrow with more fuel than 5 gal left .  Same power tech prop as yesterday that helped eliminate a good bit of porpoising but didn’t turn max WOT of 6300 rpm.  But did do 5800 with motor trimmed to “two bars”.  The prop is 4 blade “ SCD” considered a big help with porpoising as you can see in description.   This prop was recommended separately by the Powertech guru Markus and Ken aka Prop god as referred by this forum.  

We also will test a Yamaha Talon 4 blade prop which dealer had in stock.

Interesting on these light skiffs how each is impacted as you move weight around.  Makes me glad I didn’t do a stern mount on the trolling motor.  I considered that as some guides do that to help with seeing the trolling motor position with an angler on the casting platform   (Not an issue with Minn Kota Advanced GPS remote that shows head position) 

Other tools yet to consider is to move motor up one “hole”, and a cavitation plate

Progress!  Kudos to the forum for all the help

IMG_1700.png

IMG_1699.png

• Like 1

Aargh.  Bad news today.   Prop tests with both the power Tech SCD and the Yamaha Talon wouldn’t run 4200 RPMs without bad porpoising.  First tests with 9 gals of fuel.   Second tests with 26 gallons of fuel.  Problem actually got worse with nearly full tank.   

Dealer very vested in solving problem which I feel so lucky to have.   They are reaching back to the prop gurus of Markus and Ken.   Also reaching  to Maverick for guidance.  

They are aware of moving engine up but are concerned as so little trim now available.   Are aware of the wedge suggestion to get more negative trim.  And have the info on the cavitation plate suggestion.  

And we have talked about jackplate.   

Will update as we go   I have owned boats since 1971.   And most of that time, I owned two   Never seen anything like this and have spent a lot of time on other peoples skiffs.   Crazy!!!!!

only good news besides a very vested dealer is the wind is blowing for another week 

Update-multiple prop changes based on Marcus recommendation and also a Yamaha Talon.  Did not eliminate.   Markus had no more recommendations on props although his first recommendation was out of stock.  Checking on when it will be available

Dealer was under hull this morning.  Port trim tab was not installed flush.  Correcting that and test. 

they also were looking at motor height and for any hook that might be impacting

5 degree wedges on order and we talked again about cav plate which will be ordered.  

dealer really hustling.  Markus helping.  Ken responding.   Maverick? Crickets!!!

Troy and crew moving on the issue and finding some issues, you ordered the wedges and cav plate as Joe and Headhunter shared props not all the same on any boat you’ve tested a few! Reading up on 115/18hpx from what I’m seeing your working the issues pretty good with Tims and the prop folks and advise from some folks that know the same set up you have, my 2300 was easy one and done by Tims. Keeping up on post to see what your solution works out to be. 

2 hours ago, Mega Bites said:

Will do.  A lot of expertise on this forum.  Very helpful.  Wednesday forecast weather looking good.  Not sure we will be done by then.  Blessed to have Tim’s crew. 5 star!

Mega Bites I am sure that after you add the neg trim wedge and keep the motor at the lowest position because it’s needed in tight turns with the 18 HPX that you will notice the ride and hole shot improve with the tabs all the way up . If you’re not a speed nut try and find a Merc Spite Fire prop to test with it’s a great all around prop . If your into a nice ride with the boat trimmed out in the air a Pro Series 3 power tech in a 19 pitch will be a good start . If you run lite you will be able to pull a 21 . Until you add the wedge and plate you may not enjoy the props you are testing .  As I have said before the prop that you will like will be a personal choice that works well with your personal likes and dislikes . Pro 3 power tech and Yamaha pro series are a great match for a guy that like to run his HPX like a bass boat trimmed to the max boat riding on the small narrow pad on the bottom . If your more into great over all grip in turns a great hole shot and a good top end not over trimmed the Merc Spite fire will do what your looking for . The Merc spite fire stock will need to have a little less pitch than the Pro Series Yamaha or Pro 3 power tech . Talk to guys running the same exact boat and motor as you if any are close and are willing to test your boat and put there go to prop on your boat after you add the wedge and plate it would speed up the search for the perfect prop for you . Did you talk to Marcus yourself ? Did you tell him what props I suggested you try ? Tell him Joe R suggested them maybe Marcus will pick your brain more and get a better idea exactly what you are looking for and what is happening . 

• Like 1

Many thanks.  I have talked to Markus direct as had the dealer.  I will pass that on to him.  I was looking for his email so we could send some data.  
good advice on needing motor low.   I am not a bass boat guy running wide open.  And when I fish the creeks of the Louisiana marsh there are lots of turns.   And hole shot more important than top end.   

I will share your post with dealer.  Again.  Many thanks.  I will report back.  Important to pay forward to the next person 

1 hour ago, Mega Bites said:

Which Spitfire would you suggest 13.5 19p?

Mega Bites , I would definitely go with the 19 pitch to try and dial the HPX into what your needs are . One thing about the Merc Spitefire X-7 4 blade is it has a smaller diameter than the 13 and 13.5 that everyone else seems to be building . That smaller diam it’s like 12.7  in the 19 pitch really wakes that 115 SHO up and you can feel it snap when you hit the throttle .  I can’t wait to hear how much you enjoy the hole shot ride and throttle response after you get the wedge in place the BMS plate mounted on the lower unit and the 19 spite fire . That combo should dial your new ride in and put a big smile on your face . Take care . Joe R  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn’t throw the spitfire in a working class as far as speed. I run one on my Hewes because it gives the best bite in turns and keeps my little 90 Yamaha from loosing bite. The spitfire also holds its on against the three blade props I have run on that boat in wot speeds. Which is about 41 or 42 mph.  Yes I know it’s not a fast boat but it only has a 90 on her. 

I wouldn’t throw the spitfire in a working class as far as speed. I run one on my Hewes because it gives the best bite in turns and keeps my little 90 Yamaha from loosing bite. The spitfire also holds its on against the three blade props I have run on that boat in wot speeds. Which is about 41 or 42 mph.  Yes I know it’s not a fast boat but it only has a 90 on her. 

Personally I would not mount a fin on the boat until you have tried all the props you want to try. But thats just me. 

• Like 1

My hope is the wedges come in and get installed so I can run the boat Tuesday afternoon.   We have Talon, SCD and Pro 4 blades we will test again.  Also will have the port trim moved so it’s flush with the bottom and not quarter inch below.  We will see how close to dialed in we have gotten.  Have ordered the “fin” to have on hand should that be necessary.  May have another owner/capt on with me so two sets of eyes.  His 18 has 140.  No porpoising or need to trim much.  

• Like 1

I do want to salute Chris and Troy from Tim’s Marine on troubleshooting.  Grizzled veterans with passion.  They have been doing the troubleshooting and interacting with Markus at Powertech (that has been engaged).   They have days invested.  Changing props. Multiple   Test runs trying all trim options.  Running with tank a third full and then full.    They have been under boat with straight edge checking for hook and anything creating drag.  They fixed the port trim to get it flush with the hull when not engaged. They ordered the wedges and getting a Tru Tracker so we have that ammunition should we get to that step.  I get morning and afternoon updates.   My job is to glean any useful information from this forum and the Facebook Maverick Pathfinder Hewes Group.  They have been 5 star and pro active They are located 1 1/2 hours away and said no need yet for me to come down as they said I would be as disappointed as they are in boats performance.  Blessed to have them and my past experience with them is the main reason I went with Maverick.  They put cameras in the drains to find out why boat wasn’t draining and apologized about the only way to fix the failure of Maverick was to cut a hole in the new very expensive “technical” skiff.  They repaired it well and you could never tell cosmetically what they did.  Stellar, 5 star and more.  

Now Maverick? As of yesterday midday, they had no response from Maverick despite sending info through the portal since it appears to me that’s the way Malibu manages it now.   

Ironically, the dealer network was a plus plus differentiation for Maverick particularly after reference checking on HB, BT, East Cape and Chittum.   In fact just yesterday a Gold Cup tournament winning captain that fishes the Keys and  Louisiana, that was featured on a Millhouse Podcast,  posted a video of him removing all manufacturing branding from his skiff because of lack of response from one of the manufacturers I eliminated.  

Here’s hoping Malibu steps up and helps the dealer.  It’s time!

P.S. also a shout out to this forum and all that have been engaged and offering a wealth of experience and ideas.  When you get to my age, you well know what a great teacher experience is.  Thanks for the interest.  

I will post an update and hopefully any lessons learned will be valuable to someone down the road.  

• Like 2

FYI.  Since these threads are archives for the next person having similar problems, I will share this.  

Video is the rooster tail from the transducer BEFORE we raised it.   No doubt creating more unexpected drag.  From an Lowrance install diagram, it arguably is exactly at right height when viewed out of water.  However when running we got this.  We have moved it up a bit but raises questions about motor height when running.   But we learned later that the trim tab next to it actually was not working.   This is the big Lowrance 3 in 1 transducer.   I think the drag from the transducer (as well as non working tab) have been mitigated

Of course they want their transducer in a nice, bubble-free stream of water to get the best echo from the pings. They don’t care about the corrosion on your bracket, tilt tube or trim unit.

You can have it both ways by installing a shield over the transducer that gives it clean water but diverts the spray back and down.. Just look where the trailer bunks are so you don’t bend the transducer bracket.. 

MM

Just now, Moderator said:

Of course they want their transducer in a nice, bubble-free stream of water to get the best echo from the pings. They don’t care about the corrosion on your bracket, tilt tube or trim unit.

You can have it both ways by installing a shield over the transducer that gives it clean water but diverts the spray back and down.. Just look where the trailer bunks are so you don’t bend the transducer bracket.. 

MM

Thanks.  Will probably add shield after resolve bigger issue.  We have talked about that 

• Like 1