We just came off of four days out of Flamingo -and for an hour or so along the coast of the 'glades on one day we found fantastic snook fishing with an 8wt rod, a small white Seaducer fly... and some very aggressive small to medium sized snook... The problem?  Along with the snook were some even hungrier sharks... Every snook we hooked had a medium size shark trying to eat it - almost from the first moment that snook felt the hook... The good news is that most of them jumped off the hook and escaped "jaws" - the ones that didn't had a bad ending and were never able to be released to fight another day...

Here's my take on it... This time of year, and all summer long, sharks along the gulf side of the Everglades out of Flamingo are a problem - and every one of us that fish along that coast have contributed to our current situation... Catch and release is only our first problem - I'll explain in a moment.  Most days, any shark really has to work at it to get fed -since healthy fish can avoid them.  Along that coast all of the fish are in fairly close proximity to each other so the moment a fish is struggling on the  hook - there's a hungry shark very close by that will take care of business....  I used to tell my anglers that at any spot we fished this time of year (and during the warm and hot months...) we have a shot at landing the first fish we hook - if my anglers bear down with heavy drags and horse that fish in... Take your time with a nice fish and the sharks get fed...  A second fish?  Good luck with that.... and so it goes.  One of the problems we cause as anglers is we're just not willing to leave a spot where fish are biting - or might be biting (just look at the disaster that Boca Grande is during tarpon season...).   The moment that first shark bite occurs (or an angler is skilled enough to get the fish to the boat in spite of a shark hot on its tail....) all of us really need to just leave and set up somewhere else... Not an easy choice at all.  Add to that "catch and release" and every released fish is an easy target for a hungry shark...  Like I said - we've contributed to this situation and need to be disciplined enough to move from any area where shark(s) one or many...  are a problem.  When we don't, we're creating a feeding place for hungry sharks that are simply responding to an "easy meal" situation....  That's my take on it - feel free to copy this and send it to anyone that might be interested...

• Like 3

It’s no different in the ocean. When I go with my buddy out of Palm Beach or Jupiter in his boat, after two fish caught the chance of bringing up a whole fish is near zero. I wish people would pick up and move to a new spot. We also don’t chum anymore, we utilize the graph to help avoid sharks. I’ve got to believe it’s because the population of food further off the coast has dwindled so now they’ve moved in.

On 5/5/2024 at 6:27 AM, lemaymiami said:

We just came off of four days out of Flamingo -and for an hour or so along the coast of the 'glades on one day we found fantastic snook fishing with an 8wt rod, a small white Seaducer fly... and some very aggressive small to medium sized snook... The problem?  Along with the snook were some even hungrier sharks... Every snook we hooked had a medium size shark trying to eat it - almost from the first moment that snook felt the hook... The good news is that most of them jumped off the hook and escaped "jaws" - the ones that didn't had a bad ending and were never able to be released to fight another day...

Here's my take on it... This time of year, and all summer long, sharks along the gulf side of the Everglades out of Flamingo are a problem - and every one of us that fish along that coast have contributed to our current situation... Catch and release is only our first problem - I'll explain in a moment.  Most days, any shark really has to work at it to get fed -since healthy fish can avoid them.  Along that coast all of the fish are in fairly close proximity to each other so the moment a fish is struggling on the  hook - there's a hungry shark very close by that will take care of business....  I used to tell my anglers that at any spot we fished this time of year (and during the warm and hot months...) we have a shot at landing the first fish we hook - if my anglers bear down with heavy drags and horse that fish in... Take your time with a nice fish and the sharks get fed...  A second fish?  Good luck with that.... and so it goes.  One of the problems we cause as anglers is we're just not willing to leave a spot where fish are biting - or might be biting (just look at the disaster that Boca Grande is during tarpon season...).   The moment that first shark bite occurs (or an angler is skilled enough to get the fish to the boat in spite of a shark hot on its tail....) all of us really need to just leave and set up somewhere else... Not an easy choice at all.  Add to that "catch and release" and every released fish is an easy target for a hungry shark...  Like I said - we've contributed to this situation and need to be disciplined enough to move from any area where shark(s) one or many...  are a problem.  When we don't, we're creating a feeding place for hungry sharks that are simply responding to an "easy meal" situation....  That's my take on it - feel free to copy this and send it to anyone that might be interested...

Thank you.