Hewes Redfisher 18 Help

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to the MBG community for some assistance. Recently, I had the opportunity to inspect an 18 Redfisher that I really liked, but I noticed some concerns regarding the bottom of the hull. I'm worried it might indicate structural issues, so I carefully tapped around the questionable areas. Surprisingly, they felt just as solid as the rest of the boat. Should I be considering walking away from this boat altogether? The cracks appear superficial, but I'm not completely sure. Additionally, I want to note that the cracks are very narrow and I cannot fit my nail into them. Is this a common issue for mid-2000s Hewes Redfisher 18s?

Thank you for any insights you can provide!IMG_8961.thumb.jpeg.30b605a230b15112c4f44655ef9fda62.jpeg

IMG_8962.jpeg

IMG_9011.jpeg

IMG_9013.jpeg

IMG_9014.jpeg

The gelcoat chips wouldnt concern me, but those long spider cracks do look suspicious.  I would strongly remcommend having a marine surveyor look at it or at least a highly respected fiberglass shop.  The area with the long spidercracks look like they are bulging out but that may just be bad lighting. Has the bottom ever been repaired?

I have been contemplating a marine surveyor, I just wasn’t 100% certain that they would be able to access the haul from the inside. Do you happen to know if there are any access point points from the inside? As far as any previous repairs go, I think it’s all original.  

1 hour ago, fords4x4 said:

I have been contemplating a marine surveyor, I just wasn’t 100% certain that they would be able to access the haul from the inside. Do you happen to know if there are any access point points from the inside? As far as any previous repairs go, I think it’s all original.  

they don't need to access the inside of the hull....they will use a special hammer and sound the bottom of the hull to listen for voids....

DC

There is always a nicer boat waiting in the wings. You did not say but if the boat is priced in line with other boats of the same size and vintage I would pass. As soon as you settle for that boat another will pop and and you will be kicking yourself. 
 Now I will honestly say it looks like a used boat of a fisherman that has crossed a lot of oysters. I would bet a surveyor would say she is fine on the scratches and chips. The first two pictures where the gel coat does look like it’s protruding would bother me more than the areas that have missing gel coat. 

• Like 1

Pulled the pic onto my phone and enlarged. I can see now what looked like a bulge is a scratch. I don’t think it’s a crack I think it’s a scratch. Either drove straight over something on the bottom or possibly while loading .. it also seems consistent with the other battle scars. I would still try to beat up the seller on the price over the bottom condition. 

• Haha 1

I don't think there's anything structurally wrong with that boat, they arent known to have issues with stringers. Again like others have said we aren't in person and only looking at pictures but Ive got a 01 Redfisher 18 and i fish it hard so the bottom has plenty of scratches from over the years of bumping oyster bars.