Annual Trip to Islamorada

Davej

Taking my annual trip to Islamorada next week, traveling from Tampa. I'm thinking about changing my route down so I dont have to deal with the Miami traffic. 

Any suggestions?

I75 to 27 to 997 through Homestead a good idea?

41 a good idea?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on the day and time of day.  The 997 route has a lot of stop and go between stop lights and agricultural vehicles entering and leaving the road.  It’s interesting, scenic and you don’t have to worry about the turnpike drivers running by you at 90 mph but you probably will not save a ton of time.

Taking 27 to the turnpike vs. 75 to the Sawgrass is about equal as far as distance  between where the come together at 27 and the turnpike. From there south is hit and miss. 

If you are trying to determine the fastest route, go to either Google Maps or Apple Maps, go to "Directions", enter your starting point and your destination, and they will give you the fastest route. I believe one of them also allows you to enter the date and time you plan on leaving your destination, since this can have a huge impact on the traffic you will encounter. 

I'm in jacksonville and have made the trip a decent amount of times to the keys, best thing I ever did was leave at midnight if you can manage it. No traffic and such an easy ride down. This doesnt work for everyone but if you feel confident leaving at night and arriving that morning was great for me.

• Like 2

I assume your normal route is down I-75, across the Alley, I-75 south to the Turnpike then down to US 1 in Florida City.

Ignoring Time (the route above is by far the fastest) and thinking only about ease of drive:

So the US 41 draw back would be if you have a problem there is very little emergency lane, But much more scenic. You would still have to contend with city traffic. 

I would say US 27 does not help you either. You would want to totally avoid the US 27 to the Turnpike. It is Dump Truck Alley.

US 27 to Krome Avenue is ok until you get down near Kendall. Then its agriculture and stop lights.

My opinion is The I-75, across the Alley, south on I-75 to the Turnpike all the way to Florida City then of course US1 is still the best route. 

Like mentioned, Time of day or night is everything.

• Like 2

Hate to say it , but you will not get there or get home , without risk of death , unless you leave , both ways , @ midnight .

Overpopulation , has 100% ruined south FL period .

Looking to get out asap .

Good luck !

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

• Sad 1

Even leaving at midnight and driving on 997 (Chrome Ave.) there is no guarantee you will be safe. Just lost another family friend on that road who leaves behind a two year old son who has to grow up without a father. If you are to travel then do so on the weekdays, not the weekends.

Highway 41 is no man's land so if everything is in good working order, not a bad drive. Just make sure when you get into Miami Dade County and the speed limit drops to 45 on the reservation......................do 45!

Run 75 to the turnpike, best bet.

trailering a boat in the middle of the night is never something I recommend....too many things can go wrong on a long trip....

I do run from FLL to flamingo or Everglades City at 0400 or even when I run to the keys for summer tailing.... I don't like or recommend being on the road all night...if you have a trailer issue, you are screwed....BTW, don't forget, Deerfield trailer has a Key's office for on the road repair if an emergency

My recommendation is travel during the week as mentioned by others...

Do not cross using 41 in the middle of the night....too many gators and other critters....I75 has fences and even then, there are sometimes big critters crossing the road.

I75 is heavily patrolled by FHP and the Micosukee tribe police.....and there are many support vehicles on the road.

Stay off the Palmetto Freeway - 826 as it has too much traffic

The turnpike has some construction, but, it's manageable.....

hold at 55-60 mph and you'll fine....check the hubs every few hours....

Dc

Thanks for all the feedback. My standard route is 75 to the turnpike and then down to U.S. 1. Sounds like that's the best bet, so I'll stick with it again this time. Wont be able to leave until early Saturday morning, so I'll just have to crank up the tunes, and gut it out.

Thanks again,

I just came back from Miami for a day trip from Lake Placid Fl. Hwy 27 to Chrome to Kendall to US1 was brutal traffic. Coming home , took turnpike to 27.  At least the turnpike was moving at a nice rate of speed. I would recommend early AM during weekdays. We will all say a prayer for you .🙏

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davej said:

Thanks for all the feedback. My standard route is 75 to the turnpike and then down to U.S. 1. Sounds like that's the best bet, so I'll stick with it again this time. Wont be able to leave until early Saturday morning, so I'll just have to crank up the tunes, and gut it out.

Thanks again,

That’s the best route down.  Also, leave as early as you possibly can and you won’t have too much traffic on Saturday.  

Just got back from Islamorda on Thursday morning....went down on WED via 75 to the Turnpike and the construction has slowed down and the road is in pretty good condition.....just sit in the middle at 60 mph and you should be fine.

The road into the keys on US 1 is in good shape....just alot of traffic....most of the time I was running 55 mph

Use WAZE to check US 1, if it's backed up you can take Card Sound Road.

and it drops you at the entrance of Key Largo.

Enjoy the keys

dc