Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Big Dave

JoIned two buddies last week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) for a 3 night backpacking, camping, fishing trip. Wonderful time in a beautiful area. Caught my first wild rainbow trout on fly. Total fish for the trip was over 30--all rainbows and browns. We hiked up to higher elevations in search of brookies but did not connect. Unfortunately, we had a lot of rain so the creek was high for the most part and dirty for about half of the time. And, I broke my right arm (the ulnar bone) on Friday. I was moving back down stream when I slipped on a moss covered log and my arm hit an upturned rock. So, I spent 3 days and two nights with a broken arm until we hiked back out on Sunday afternoon. Got the arm x-rayed and stabilized at the Blount Memorial Hospital ER and will follow with an orthopedic surgeon here in SFL on Friday morning with surgery likely to follow. 

Here's a little slideshow I put together of the trip:

Hazel Creek Sojourn

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2024 at 5:32 PM, Big Dave said:

Got the stitches out today.  Not supposed to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for 4 more weeks when I follow up with the surgeon again.

IMG_0892.JPG

Wow…3 days and 2 nights , that had to be hurting .  I’m glad you got all fixed up now.

• Like 1