'70 bonefisher

dutch6575

i've been meaning to post for awhile but kept putting it off. bought the boat last year on the forum. three stringer boat. removed port deck and added a fourth stringer to the outboard port side after i noticed alot of hull flex at higher speeds. some rot on the floor under the back compartments. took up rotten floor there (that is how i noticed the hull flex). added a porthole to stbd side to inspect flex there, but it seems to pretty solid there (gl*** around hull stiffener is in better shape).

repowered with a later model 90hp yamaha. able to get into the low 40mph's.

used boat last summer as much as i could between working on it. have alot of work to go but boat is very usable right now. plan to use it as much as possible and do some work as i go.

i really like the flow thru livewells on the transom. they were sealed when i got the boat and i drilled new intake, outflow holes on one of the wells. works well, really neat to have no moving parts. left the other sealed for now. added seadek to deck and casting deck floors. have more pics (stringer repair included) and can post if anyone is interested.

1328457065-IMG_6606_-_Copy__640x480_.jpg

1328456993-IMG_6110_-_Copy__639x450_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

very very nice boat love that yellow, noticed your poling platform has no back braces how dose it hold up dose it shake under power or flex when your up on it. mine has 4 legs and horizonal braces in the back and if I jack the motor up I have to be careful with my trim or my motor hits the back braces, was thinking about cutting them out but though I might lose stability

sdig,

the poling platform supports me well (no problems so far at about 185lbs). It seems pretty solid. I ve thought about the idea putting a new four-legged platform over the splashwell to keep weight more forward but will leave this one alone for awhile as it works fine and i would guess it is part of the original design. the platform is set in two brackets on either side, each bracket with four thru-transom bolts. I did put a cmc jackplate on for a a little while and the motor cowling would scrape when tilted up with the plate up. i have since removed the jack plate to keep weight off the transom and like the way the boat floats alot better and the transom area is much cleaner too. still working on attaching some more photos.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

the area i exposed under the rear compartment is not supposed to communicate with the motorwell as far as i know. i think i was getting some leakage through motorwell screw holes, etc. into the bilge compartment. i ***ume most of the water intrusion was from water that came from the hatches above and sat in the compartment corners.

• 1 year later...

i bought the boat with a johnson 75hp 'stinger.' i always ***umed it was the original motor. i had it running pretty well and used the boat a bit with it. i sold it and put on the 90hp yamaha. from what i understand, the 'stingers' were really good motors. here is an older forum picture with the old motor:

http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/med_1195268000-hewes_1.JPG

Archived