AmeraTrail trailer question

captaincowart

I have to agree that the main wear on the hull and bunks could be because of the edge which a beveled edge could help.   I've had no experience in using a silicone spray on the carpet  but I do spray water on my bunks before going to the ramp which seems to help.  

I've only had two problems with my AmeraTrailer (2015).  One has to do with permanent stains on the aluminum frame and stainless wheel covers.  I thought they were water stains when I first pick up the new boat and trailer at the dealer.  I was more concerned about getting my 20 hour break in period on the motor to focus on fishing so never questioned or tried to remove it till a month later.  Boat dealer said to contact Amera Trailer and I did.  Their response was that MBC puts a protect coating on all new hull that breaks down when it's in the water and stains the trailer when you pull the boat.  The boat went into the water twice during that time.....when the dealer test drove the boat and when I picked up the boat and dropped it in the water for the first time.  I might ad that this is not a case of not washing down my trailer after every use.  I'm a fanatic about it.  I've tried various cleaners to remove it.  I never got a firm answer about the problem or responsibly from MBC.  I was just curious if anybody had the same problem?      

Protective coating???? Sounds like BS to me. If that were the case, then most all new trailers would have stains. To my knowledge, the only thing that comes off a new hull is the mold release stuff, what ever that is. What do the stains look like? Are they dark or white?

I've got a 2013 AmeraTrail and it still looks new. But, I had AmeraTrail put two coats of Shark-Hide on the trailer before they delivered it to the Pathfinder dealership. And I put a coat of Shark-Hide on about once a year. It looks good, fits the boat good and pulls good, but that's about it. I've had to do lots of maintenance on my trailer. It's the kind of stuff you should not have to do to an expensive trailer. It will be my last AmeraTrail.  

This is what it looked like when I picked up the boat. The stained area are white and looks like it itched the surface.   I waited till the motor needed the 20 hour service before questioning the dealer about it but they just referred me to the trailer company.  I thought maybe the dealer had to use an acid based hull cleaner for some reason when it was delivered but they said no.  Amera Trail denies any fault and gave me the story about a coating that MBC applies and comes off after several cleanings.  The dealer put it in the water twice to test drive and give me a orientation.  I've tried various cleaners to no avail.  I had several conversion with MBC but the only advice I got was to try a rubbing compound to remove them.....which I haven't tried.  I paid more for this trailer because it's designed for the step hull HPS and has perform well at the ramp but it's disappointing to have a new trailer that looks like it's been abused.  Wish I had known about the Shark Hide back then.

DSC05776.JPG

DSC05774.JPG

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:30 PM, captaincowart said:

I need some feedback, I have a 2016 Pathfinder 2200 TE on an AmeraTrail trailer made for the boat. The boat fits the trailer great, but is now starting to wear the carpet out on the bunks and is harder to launch. I have used Liquid Rollers spray on the carpet and it helps, but I want to know if any other Pathfinder owners have put bunk slicks or pads on their bunks and has there been any issues with them scratching up the gelcoat on the hull, thanks.

You should not be having this issue, suggest you contact AT direct at 407-892-1100, ask for Arthur. 

Skip

Charles, you got to remember, any acidic material will etch aluminum. Even something a mild as vinegar or Cola will leave etch marks just like what you have. If you can't get any satisfaction from AmeraTrail, Google Shark-Hide. They make products to clean aluminum, then apply the Shark-Hide sealer. I could write a whole page on the things I've had to do to my trailer. That's why I say it's my last AT.

The fact is I've never used any acidic cleaners on the hull or the trailer to this day and when I tested various cleaners I only tried small areas which did not show any improvement.  The photo were taken shortly after I had the 20 hour services and I only used water to rinse the boat and trailer......no detergent at all.  I haven't tried anything else, like the rubbing compound, because it might make it look worse.  I was hoping to hear from someone on this posting that experience the same problem and if they found a remedy.  Thanks for your response.

Charles, I wasn't suggesting that you caused the damage (etching) to your trailer. Just letting you know that unprotected aluminum is very prone to damage from some very common things. You haven't heard from another forum member about similar damage to his trailer because this is not a common occurrence. Somehow, your trailer got some type of acidic liquid on it from some unknown source.

I emailed Shark-Hide a couple of times with questions about their products and they were very responsive and helpful. Maybe you should email them pics of the trailer. They probably have a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned the hard way that WHERE you launch and/or park can ruin your gelcoat.  

I used a private ramp included with a rental property in Murrells Inlet, SC once that was pretty sandy.  Whether from the sand stirred up when launching, or from parking the empty trailer for a week near a sandy area, a lot of sand became embedded in the bunk carpet.  

Of course I didn't realize it until a couple months later.  Just like loading on sandpaper.  Scoured the heck out of the gelcoat.

I pay more attention to where I park it now, and also give the bunks more than a casual rinsing.

If any type of stain remover was applied to the outer hull to remove a water line, scum line etc....such as FSR, Rust Off, Easy Off, any cleaner designed to remove rust stains will contain mild acids....if it get rinsed onto the aluminum or stainless parts of the trailer and not rinsed off immediately , it will permanent stain the metal. Probably not effect the structural integrity of the trailer, but it will be stained. 

Archived