Shark and White Water Bay - best way

Been above it out of Chokoloskee, Lostmans, etc,  and below it around the Cape, but never in Shark and the internal bay.  On my bucket list for the next trip.  I've been looking at the charts and it looks like about 30 miles from Choko or Flamingo.  What's the word: stay in Choko and run down or come over from Flamingo?

My last few trips in the middle 10,000 fishing's been pretty slow compared to previous ventures, so I need some new water.  But, mainly i just want to see that area.  Thanks for your ideas.

From Outdoor Resorts in Chokoloskee to the mouth of the Shark is 40 miles. That's running on the outside. It's longer if you take the backcountry route, and you still have to hit the outside from Broad River on. It's a much shorter and more protected journey from Flamingo since you can cruise up Whitewater Bay.

Still, I wouldn't let that me from making the run from Chokoloskee. Just pick your day and make sure you have enough fuel.

Bill

Its a nice trip from Flamingo up through coot bay, white water bay and then oyster bay out to the gulf. its about 45 min run. You can also stick to the left when you exit coot bay and travel all the way up through Joe river. That bay can get extremely rough if its windy so keep an eye on the weather. Heading up into Hell's bay is cool as well. But to answer you question leaving from flamingo and traveling through white water bay is the fastest route.

12 hours ago, Donh said:

Just might suggest..... Don't go into Hells Bay the first time by yourself . Can be a little spooky even with your GPS. No fair tying ribbons on the mangroves. :D

dh

Listen to the man, one thing about the "inside" especially to the east around Hells Bay, Lane Bay, etc...it all looks relatively the same with no distinguishing landmarks at first. 

You can fish both, but, I'd suggest you make the run in the trailer, launch in Flamingo and run WW bay.

The run on the outside, especially during the summer can turn nasty in the afternoon with Thunderstroms....I've had to run 15 miles offshore one time to get away from a front that came through from the West...it was a horror show.....

The problem with Flamingo is the hotels outside of Homestead....they will steal everything if you leave it on the boat...if you stay, I heard the Holiday Inn is "ok", but, you need to completely unload the boat.....

The run from Choko to Flamingo in a trailer will be about 2 hours....personally, I'd run it on the trailer and then explore and head home in the early PM....to run, as mentioned from Choko to the Shark is about 40 plus miles....then you have to run around and explore....and, if it gets nasty in the PM...it will be along run home..

Have fun in the new ecosystem....take your time and enjoy the park.

dc

Archived