Tilt Limiter on Yamaha 150?

blackacre

My cousin has a new 16' Cobia 21 Bay. Is there any way to limit how far the Yamaha F150 will tilt up? When tilting the outboard all the way out of the water, the cowling makes contact with the splashwell. Unfortunately, he learned this the hard way and damaged his cowling. Would like to have the outboard stop tilting short of making contact with the boat to avoid damage in the future. Any ideas?

Not that I'm aware of. But, wondering if raising the motor up to the next mounting hole would help, as long as the motor can run well mounted higher. 

Also I would talk to dealer about damaged cowling. That shouldn't happen and if it is a potential to cause damage they should inform you. 

You can buy a switch that will stop the tilt at any angle you want. I installed one on my old outboard and it worked just fine for 15 years. The switch is about half a long as your little finger and has two wires. It's filled with mercury, like the old A/C thermostats. I don't know the exact name, other than mercury switch. Call your local outboard parts dealer, they will know where to find it.

Can anyone else with a Cobia 21 Bay let me know what hole your outboard is mounted on? Looks like the simple fix might be to raise it. Not sure where the cavitation plate is in the water column when running. I'll take a look at it when I run it next week. 

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

Here's the damage (below).

Ray from MBC has been extremely helpful and referred me to an authorized dealer that will be helping with this issue...

Hope to have a positive experience and resolutions soon!

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 10.58.24 AM.png

• 8 months later...

Archived