New owner

VsteveV

I'am a recent owner of a used 07' 18 Redfisher and I'm looking for some guidance from other owners. The boat has the F115 with a 13x17 Powertech SCD  from the research I could find. No jack plate...yet, but it seems to jump onto plane in about 2 boat lengths (give or take)  and I wanted to get some input on what others are using and if there might be better options. I'm still getting used to the boat but in the 4-5 trips out the one trip was on flat clam water, motor trimmed just right and tabs all the way up I'm turning 6k rpm at about 42-44 mph on the gauges. That trip was with less then 1/2 tank of gas, 2 people with no gear other then the necessary safety stuff.. The other trips have been in normal bay waters and it cruses nicely at about 4-4.2k at 35 ish MPH.  Other stuff on the short list is an Atlass jack plate and an 8' blade. And after the season I will need to re-work the plumbing. For now I've just replaced the old style Rule pumps, but the housings are leaking and the ball valves look like they are also on there last leg. Break Out Another Thousand.

I love the boat and I got a great deal on it so i don't mind that much for not not holding out for the 150 but I have contemplated trying to barter and find a 2 stroke!!! While I do love the quietness, and efficiency of the F115, there is nothing like the bark and the nasty torque of the 2-stroke.  

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Welcome to the crew.  Your numbers sound about right, and Matt Conrad may be able to set you up with a 2 stroke - watch the classifieds on here and you'll find him.  For me, I'll sacrifice a couple mph for the no mix quiet of the 4 stk.  You should be able to do the plumbing for a lot less than a grand.  Gemlux.com currently has a closeout sale on ball valves and other goodies.  On your prop, call Marcus at Power Tech, he'll get you set up.   Good luck; you're going to love the Hewes.

How about a windshield? Where would I begin to look for one that would be a direct fit? Or would I have to have one custom made? I'm pretty handy, so with some specific directions I could try to fabricate one. I also have noticed that the flip up sits like a low rider and I find myself sitting on my tackle bag. Has anyone come up with anything like a "Big boy" booster seat to sit higher? But still be somewhat comfortable and be able to stow it when you get to the spot?

I have a Yamaha 130 on my LT 18, which I believe is the same hull. It jumps onto a plane and runs about 49 WOT with 2  people and a standard load. Love the 2 stroke's torque and low weight. If you get a tilt helm you'll learn to love sitting low on long cruises! Throwable PFD makes a great booster seat with seat down. I have thought about a windshield, but would only really appreciate it when driving in the rain. Kinda like feeling the wind on my face. You'll love this boat. 

I do like the throwable as a booster seat.. Good idea. I would still like a wind shield and it would help at times when you don't want the wind in your face and your eyes watering up when you take the Costa's off for a few. Its not a necessity, but its on the list.

I still think the boat feels a little sluggish out of the hole, even when I was alone. I did talk to Steve at PowerTech and he said that the prop I have should be one of the better selections but I have my doubts. I would like to have some feedback about what other owners have with the same set up. This weekend I had 3 people, light gear and half tank of gas. I thought it ran well but I still don't like the hole shot, but once I got up it was good. Tabs make ALL the difference.

What spec props are other running?

And I am in the market for new batteries. Lithium Ions worth it yet? I would LOVE to cut the weight in half in the back.

I currently have 2 batteries for the motor and all electronics. The trolling motor is 24v and those batteries are in the console. I do not live bait fish much, and I rarely use the GPS/Sounder. Thoughts about going with 1 optima blue top? 

Archived