Budget Color Change

bdsnook

¬¬ I have been toying with the Idea of a color change for my 21 MA.....She has been Millennium Blue her whole 16 year life. I think a black boat can be a thing of beauty....sooooooo   wrapping sounded like a good idea...except everybody I called wanted 1k + to do it.

Me being the FRUGAL (cheap) dude I am, I decided to try it myself....well...150 bucks and ebay later (some sweat too) here is the result.....:D

Mav_21_wrap.jpg

black_wrap_5_30_16.jpg

21_maverick_black.jpg

Well....I did the transom first...thinking if I screwed up...it is a much smaller area to redo. Took a while to get the hang of it, the surface needs to be CLEAN...I washed her first...then de-natured alcohol ( saved the drinking kind for later). You can pull it off and re-smooth it a bunch of times. Heat helps to turn corners and to smooth wrinkles in the vinyl that seen to take a set when you don't catch one and get it stuck down, just peal it back off and heat it a little. Careful with the heat, you will blow a hole right thru it ...I got a Wagner heat gun that was digital....about 12 different heat/air combo's. Bought some vinyl wrap tools from Amazon...squeegees with a felt edge and a smaller tool to work hard edges. The Vinyl is "VIVID" brand on ebay...lots of colors....watch U-tube...it helps a lot and get a helper...I did not have an extra set of hands...wish I had..it would have save a LOT of mistakes/re-do's.....my roll was 5 ft x 25 ft..$148.00...I cut it in half on the roll making two 30" x 25 ft pieces....cut a 3 ft piece off that to start the learning process on the transom...cut it in around the power pole, tow eyes etc. TEDIOUS.....but worth it in the end....you can buy smaller rolls and try it...see if it is for you....if your a DIY'er...it is not all that bad...and yes...you can peal it back of pretty easlly a year or two down the road and try a different color....I even toyed with the idea of getting some one that does it for a living and asking what they would charge to apply what I bought with no warranty or to show me techniques ...but just wound up doing it myself. I was fun...took two full days...one for each side was all I wanted to do....take off anything you can remove, it's easier.      TRY IT....:D

Part Two!

It is a learning process....I got a little discouraged in the beginning...thinking it would be a lot easier...and it would have if I had some help. but after the first side the second was fairly easy...taking half the time...I ran it yesterday and nothing flew off...Hahahaha. I ordered all the new logos off ebay for under $25, and the numbers came from Amazon $45 bucks, numbers are really nice, clear bubble top, white center, chrome edged all pre-spaced to make an easy install by a company called "3D Lettering"....I would buy them again...many different styles and colors.

If you patient and handy give it a try...it is a lot easier than paint and if you don't like it...peal it off!

I was flippin through the channels, while sitting on the couch riding out TS Colin.........Stubble on to Ship Shape TV Show, and they were doing a wrap on a big SeaVee.

What I thought was cool, they had this tape for the edges. So before they put the wrap on they outlined the entire edge with this tape. After they put the wrap on, then they pull this tape off and it trims the edge of the wrap. They said so you don't have to take a razor blade to gelcoat. Thought it was pretty cool.

Yep...saw that stuff on Amazon also.....really cool stuff!

I was just trimming at the hard edge of the side to actual bottom of the hull and up under the rub rail...not really a problem...but if you were stopping before a hard edge or doing two colors that would be the ticket!

Which Way...I filled my gouges(there were a few) with bondo and faired it in be fore putting the wrap on...they are invisible now. If I decide to pull off the wrap I will need to grind it out and back fill with some matching gell coat.^_^

Archived