Front live well issues

Island Style

guys, I have a 21 and just installed a new pump for the front livewell. It seems to pump and work for awhile then it stops. I take the head of the pump off and put it back on and it starts to pump again. Any suggestions on what is going on? the pump is brand new and all wiring is new too. thanks JD

sounds like is air locking.....loose hose on the feed side? hard pipe to the "sea chest" leaking air, did you seal with Teflon tape? do you have the inline filter...is it sealed tight?

just some thoughts...

You mentioned filter....white body...clear bowl section....wire mesh screen ...did you reposition the bowl? is it down or horizontal? It needs to be able to shed it's trapped air into the pump intake, if the pump impellor runs in an air bubble it can not develop suction or pump water....when you pull the motor off the pump does water flush up out of the body? most likely air is either trapped in the system or is getting in from a leak....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:58 PM, Island Style said:

bdsnook, I removed both filters when I rewired the boat. The rear livewell pump is burnt up so I need to replace it. So are you saying if I don't put in the filters it won't work?

It will still work, but not a good idea to eliminate the filters. Doesn't take much to clog the pump and burn a motor, especially if you use the trolling motor in shallow water. The trolling motor prop kicks up all sorts of stuff that is sucked into the live-well pump. What bdsnook was saying is that the filters should be facing down or slightly down hill from horizontal, so air can be pushed out by the water. Check out the picture. The filters are oriented down, now the air is displaced by water as the filter fills with water it pushes the air out and through the system. Another thing to consider is that the hose from the pump to the live-well should run slightly up-hill all the way. If there is a low area in the hose, then air gets trapped in that low spot.

DSC08326_zps387a537f.jpg

Archived