Cockpit lighting

Flatsdude3

Trying to decide what type of lights to use for lighting up the cockpit while fishing at night. I have been thinking of using some of the led strips around the bottom of my console. Or was going to use small courtesy lights on the port and starboard sides of the console. Thinking of using the cool white leds as they seem not to blind you as much. Just wanted to get an idea of what others are using. Thanks 

Thanks for the replies. On my previous boat 20ft Backcountry I had blue leds and they were somewhat blinding for fishing. I'm trying to figure out which lights I can use that will light up my deck without blinding me while tarpon fishing at night. Thinking I might just try some small leds around the console 

I recently replaced the OEM court lights with Lumitec newts in white, they work well and are very low profile.  Personally I cant stand the blue color lighting it really seems to mess with my eyes and is just plain useless.  Red is ok way better than blue but I still prefer white... I think the whole "it messes up your night vision" is over inflated its really not that big of an issue.  If you can mount the lights so the bulbs themselves aren't visible (such as under the toe kick  of the newer consoles) that is best, in that case go with the strip but do some testing to see how long the strip needs to be to get the right amount of light.  

I bought two 12v "puck" led lights offline for $ 20 bucks a piece and installed in each side of my lower fwd section of center console, they are about the size of a quarter and work great. I went with white and have no issues with glare before daylight or at night. It's been two years and they still work fine. I did put a small amount of marine RTV around the flat surface when mounted into the fiberglass to keep water out of fixture. These are NOT the waterproof led lights that are made to be submerged. Those are more like $ 165 a pair.

Archived