Installing Jl 8.8's in front of rod locker

Miss Jazzy

There are always question popping up on here about if the 8.8 will fit or how to go about installing smaller speakers in the front of the rod lockers. This is my second time doing this but first with the much bigger 8.8's. I figured I would try my best to show others how it can be done. First I will say I know all boats are built a little different as I found with this install would be more difficult than my previous '02. 

First step is to tape over the entire area of the front of the locker. This is to prevent any chipping of the gel coat when cutting and also prevent scratching the gel coat with the base of the jig saw. Place the supplied cardboard cut out that comes with the speakers in the center of the area and tape down. Now just take a marker and trace out the hole. Remove the cut out and drill a 1/2" starter hole on the top edge and then cut on the marked line all the way around. I done this with a jig saw but others tools can be used. I like the jig saw because you can go slow and easy.

IMG_0441_zpssplngmfe.jpg

Next you will need to run the speaker wires and as in my case led light wires to the console. Remove the inspection plate just inside the console door. It will help if you have a buddy to help here. You can run a snake from the console to the speaker hole or as I did, a metal coat hanger will work. It will take a few tries but you should not have a problem getting to the port side. When you get it through tie a small diameter string to the hanger and pull it back through. You could just tie the speaker wire to the hanger but I found it easier to with a pull string.  Now the starboard side is where I ran into trouble. I was able to get the hanger to it but could not pull my wires through. It kept getting hung up, I think the foam sprayed under the deck had closed up the path, only had a small hole to go through. The next option is to run your chase from one speaker hole to the other then go to the console which is what I had to do. My previous Pathy I had no problem running the wires straight through, so why I say they are all made differently. 

IMG_0446_zps8dzbasqw.jpg

IMG_0449_zps4giszk2v.jpg

Here is a couple pics of how the foam is sprayed and you can see how it is not consistent. You'll see how much thicker it was on my starboard side then the port. Now installing the 8.8's you will have to use a 1/2" spacer of some king to allow for mounting depth. I bought the spacer with LED lights. They were only like $50 and they came with longer mounting screws and a foam ring for water proofing. I even had to chip out the insulation on the starboard side to fit as you can see. Notice how much bigger the 8.8's are than the 7.7's.

IMG_0443_zpsicov48nv.jpg

IMG_0445_zps0ja4xjqq.jpg

IMG_0442_zpsdscotf4f.jpg

IMG_0448_zpsc67myrsq.jpg

IMG_0452_zps4k5jsbkc.jpg

Next take off all the tape and tape up the cut out so you can line up the speaker straight and then mark the mounting holes for drilling. 

IMG_0455_zpsexttkffx.jpg

I then tested everything out before completing the install.

IMG_0450_zps7e25qbeg.jpg

Here is the finished look. Came out very nice. These 8.8's sound incredible!! I have them bridged to a M4/400 amp and it is really all you need but I'm also replacing the 7.7's that are on the sides of my console. Hope all this helps someone out.

IMG_0456_zpsjp55edc4.jpg

IMG_0461_zpsbawuuf1e.jpg

29 minutes ago, RodWorks said:

Nice work. You're running just the 2 8.8's off the 4/400 bridged?

Yes. I have the two 7.7's running off my Fusion stereo right now but I'm going to have to go to a 6/600. The 8's are way over powereing the 7's and I can't hardly hear them. I will bridge the 600 like the 400 and run the last channel stereo to the 7.7's. So if anyone is in need of a like new M4/400 I will have one up for sale soon.

Have you adjusted the gain on the 4/400 to balance the volume with the  fusion. set the 7.7s at a reasonable volume on the fusion and adjust the gain on the 4/400 until you hear them as you want.

What year is your 2200. I have an 04 2200TE and was wondering if the rod lockers are the same heigth

Yes I've adjusted everything. The 8's are so much more of a speaker than the 7's they will never equal out with out giving the 7's more power. I've had these 7's on previous boats with and without power and the difference is incredible. It really wakes them up. 

• 8 months later...

Hey Miss Jazzy!

sorry to revive an old thread but I am helping install a M400/4 in my buddy's pathy and I am a little confused as to how to set the gain and all. Right now he is just going to run 2 mx770s off of it and then get 2 more mx770s down the road. Can we bridge the 2 mx770s safely or is that too much power for them? How do I know how much gain is enough? And lastly what should the frequency and frequency mode be set to?

I appreciate any help!

I wouldn't recommend bridging to those mx's. I don't know the power rating off hand but I'm sure it would be too much. This is how I adjust gain. I turn the gain(while off) all the way up then back it down to 1/4 so it runs on 3/4 gain. I adjust the frequency when playing music. You'll find your sweet spot by listening for the best quality sound while adjusting. Preferably with the volume at least half way. Turn the filter mode to hp(high pass) this will block the low end bass. 

Well that was my plan to do but haven't had the time to change it out. Still running the 7.7's off the Fusion. I'm also having problems with my battery dying in a short amount of time while play the stereo. So I got to get all that figured out before I go to the 6/600. You will not be disappointed with that setup though. 

Archived