New Power for my Pathy

MarkB2

Well, after about 6 months of saving my pennies, I finally re-powered my Pathy. I was able to easily sell my rebuilt 200hp Yami HPDI that was on her.

I went from the 200hp Yami HPDI to this, a 250hp VMAX SHO! What a difference. Now I have to get here broken in. I couldn't resist slipping her in the water for about 20 minutes on the way back from picking her up. I bought the engine and had all the rigging done at Central Marine in St Pete, FL. They were great to work with. They even had the old engine all crated up for me when the buyer came to pick it up.

I originally picked up a PowerTech 21 pitch 4 bladed prop for it but the installers were not able to get the proper RPMs out of it so they had me drop to a 19 pitch. Admiral Propeller in Tampa was able to trade the prop out without any issues. We'll see how that 19p prop runs during break-in.

20160618_104548  (1280x720).jpg

20160621_170722  (1280x720).jpg

10 hours ago, CG RYAN said:

Looks great. I have a similar setup and have been playing the prop game as well. I settled on a 21p OFX 3 blade because I like the way it ran more than the 19p OFX4. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Funny that you mentioned the 21p OFX 3. That's what I had on my old engine and I kept that prop when I sold the engine, but it is quite dinged up. The new prop I now have for the new engine is a 19p OFX4.

What hull do you have? I have the XL hull which is a bit heavier than the other pathfinder 22ft hulls.

On 6/22/2016 at 6:07 PM, MarkB2 said:

Funny that you mentioned the 21p OFX 3. That's what I had on my old engine and I kept that prop when I sold the engine, but it is quite dinged up. The new prop I now have for the new engine is a 19p OFX4.

What hull do you have? I have the XL hull which is a bit heavier than the other pathfinder 22ft hulls.

I have the older (non xl).

Well, I ran the boat, both Friday and Saturday to break the new engine in per Yamaha service directions. I put a total of 10 hours on the new engine I tried out the PowereTech OFX4 19P prop that I had exchange for the OFX4 21P. With a full tank and medium load I was only able to top out at 5300RPM and 53MPH. That is with the jack plate at 3 inches up and the engine trimmed to give optimal speed. I was not bale to get my engine up to it's  max RPM of 6000RPM .The only way to get it up to 6000RPM was to raise the jackplate all the way up to 6 inches. It looks like I'll need to go down in pitch one again. I think the large T-Top and larder windshield may have a lot to do with it. Incidentally, my old vented OFX3 21P from my old engine turned 57-5800RPM @ 50MPH.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a hold of a 17p PT OXF4. They have been on back order from PT for a while now. My best results on calm water with a light load ran 5700-5800 RPM and 51-52 MPH with the engine trimmed half way up and 1-2 inches up on the jack plate. When dropping to cruising speed (30-35 mph ) it wanted to start porpoising until I trimmed/tucked the engine down almost all the way or put the trim tabs down a bit. I don't like having to adjust trim to stop the porpoising. Or this may just be something I have to get used to doing. It had a great hole shot though. I was on plane within a boat length.

Any suggestions? Not sure if I should go down to a 16P, or another type of prop all together? Not looking for top end speed, just good hole shot and lift at cruising speed.

On June 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM, MarkB2 said:

Well, I ran the boat, both Friday and Saturday to break the new engine in per Yamaha service directions. I put a total of 10 hours on the new engine I tried out the PowereTech OFX4 19P prop that I had exchange for the OFX4 21P. With a full tank and medium load I was only able to top out at 5300RPM and 53MPH. That is with the jack plate at 3 inches up and the engine trimmed to give optimal speed. I was not bale to get my engine up to it's  max RPM of 6000RPM .The only way to get it up to 6000RPM was to raise the jackplate all the way up to 6 inches. It looks like I'll need to go down in pitch one again. I think the large T-Top and larder windshield may have a lot to do with it. Incidentally, my old vented OFX3 21P from my old engine turned 57-5800RPM @ 50MPH.

I know our hulls are a bit different, but I would be disappointed in those results. I'm getting 45 mph from 5500 rpms from my 2003 VMAX 150 on my 2200v with a 17P OFX4. 

I did not like the performance of the ofx4 on my boat at all. I couldnt turn the 19p all the way and the speed wasnt good. I now run an ofx3 21 and can get over 6000 with a load and it is right at 60mph. Try an ofx3 in possibly 19" would be my recommendation. 

• 3 months later...

I did get the 25" shaft. I wound up with a Power Tech OXF4 16 pitch prop on it. I can run 55 mph at 6k rpm. I've got an oversized T-top with large windshield which holds the speed down a bit. Speed is not a big deal to me. However, I jump on plane within a boat length. I started with an OXF4 21 pitch prop and worked my way down to 16. The guys at Poweer Tech said that starting last year, this engine ran better with lower pitch props. They think Yamaha changed the tuning in the newer engines.

4 hours ago, JEM said:

Just reviewing back over this thread.  I assume that because you have an XL hull, that is a 25 inch transom, so that your SHO is a 25 inch shaft.  Is that correct, and what prop did you finally settle on, and what performance did you attain?

JEM ; I sure would like one of those 250 SHO's !  

Me toooooo!   I think I will finally be through modifying my boat if I can just get my hands on one of them thar 250 SHO's!!!!   Haha.  That's why I wondered what prop and performance he finally got.  I believe without the top and the XL hull I would get at least 2 or 3 more mph than MarkB2.  And, the 20 inch shaft model is only about 20 lbs heavier than my F150.  I think I should be able to sell my 2007 F150 with under 200 hours for at least $6k......I hope!?!?!?   I should be able to enter the boat races at Kings Ferry then!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 11:43 PM, JEM said:

Me toooooo!   I think I will finally be through modifying my boat if I can just get my hands on one of them thar 250 SHO's!!!!   Haha.  That's why I wondered what prop and performance he finally got.  I believe without the top and the XL hull I would get at least 2 or 3 more mph than MarkB2.  And, the 20 inch shaft model is only about 20 lbs heavier than my F150.  I think I should be able to sell my 2007 F150 with under 200 hours for at least $6k......I hope!?!?!?   I should be able to enter the boat races at Kings Ferry then!

I'd sure like to do the same..... I just had Yamaha service tech change the balancer last week...have you found a sweet deal on a SHO ?

Just pricing them online for a little over 18K.  I haven't got around to talking with any of the local dealers yet.    I will probably check around some in December just to see what the numbers are really going to look like.  After riding in Hughie's 24 with that F300, the speed just amazes me.  His runs pretty square.  4000 rpm's is 40 mph, 4500 rpm's is 45 mph.   I would like to have that kind of speed available, even if I don't use it all the time.

That's awesome with the rpm and mph running square. My 150 is turning 5900 to see 44 mph. But, I rarely run the boat over 4200..mid 30's mph is a good cruising speed.

i had the F250 on my PF 2400v...it ran very well...probably should have kept it, but, got the urge for another flats boat ...took a pounding and got my butt wet for two years and then went back to Pathfinder.

You might look at the Rev 4. We went through all of this when we bought our 22 TE. The rev 4 17 pitch ran better than any of the OFX. This boat is a 2014 so its heavier than what you are running but we got 54mph at 6000rpm with a 200SHO and jack plate, no T  top. Not sure this helps anyone but it sure worked for me.Check with Ken at Prop Gods.

Archived